Monday, March 25, 2019

Chick Day

  All around this area at this time of year are the ads for feed stores and especially Tractor Supply announcing their Chick Days.  I had written a post a while back describing my plans to build a bigger coop this Spring and I even ordered 16 new chicks of different varieties to raise and increase my current flock of 14 aging chickens.  Well - the boyz got busy doing other things, work related things that actually pay the bills,  and so we decided to hold off a year or two on the new coop. I cancelled my  chick order with Cackle Hatchery, a  little bummed, because I had picked out some beautiful breeds.

    So... I've had to go in to Tractor Supply several times in recent weeks, and each time I stared at the chicks and ducklings and almost grabbed _just a few_, but talked myself out of it because raising chicks is work, and I'd have to create another brooder on the porch, and do I need more chores right now and especially without a bigger coop? The answer is no.. .so.... I was pretty proud of my restraint.

   Yesterday on the way home from checking on our little cottage by the sea,  the husband said "Let's stop in Agway and get some of that dried cow manure fertilizer for the vegetable garden". 

  I'm thinking that's safe, they don't sell chicks there, right?  

Wrong. 

     Frasier's wondering why mama won't let him sample the chicken nuggets out on the porch.





    I even left the store chick-less with the Mr... came home and thought on it for about 30 seconds more.  Then just for the heck of it  I browsed the basement to see if there were any big boxes down there that would suffice as a brooder for the time being.  The Christmas Tree Box was sitting empty, because once you pull a fake tree out of it's box, it isn't ever going back in there the way it came out. So... I took it as a sign.    Of stupidity? Possibly.  But here we are, regardless. 

   Last night two of the chicks looked a little wobbly - they go through a heck of a lot to get to the feedstore at just a day old.. and then to their new home.  I'm happy to report this morning all six look perky.   These are what I brought home.. 

2 Light Brahmas... 

2 easter eggers - which can come in any color at all, so those
will be revealed as they feather out. 


 One Buff Orpington


 And one New Hampshire Red



  Not as exotic or as large an order as my original order from Cackle Hatchery, but still good egg layers, hearty breeds, a nice edition to my flock. 

 Happy Spring! 









   


14 comments:

  1. Hello, The last time hubby and I were in Tractor Supply buying bird seed, I joked about getting a coop and buying some chickens too. The little chicks draw my attention right away, they are all adorable. They are full time work and we do like being on the run. Love your chicks, you picked out some beautiful chickens. Enjoy your day! Have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are they guaranteed to be hens? You are so lucky to be able to get such a variety of chicks. I am wanting to get some "ready to lay" pullets because I just don't have the alternate space to raise them from chicks, nor do I want to wait that long to introduce them to the existing flock. Hope all your little ones are healthy and happy! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the irrisistible lure of chicks! Happy Spring! Frasier does indeed look bummed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wonder you couldn't pass them up! Nothing cuter than biddies and their little peeps. This farm girl call them biddies, not chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was about six a neighbor took her daughter and friends out shopping and treated us all to Easter peeps. None of the other parents were pleased and after a week my folks took my peep over to the neighbor with a "here ya go" Eventually the neighbor ended up with all the peeps back and we would "visit", Later on one morning you guessed it, a very loud WAKE UP call cacophony from down the road. Yep all roosters. More neighborhood unrest. One day I asked dad why we were no longer hearing the roosters as much. Dad sat me down and explained the harsh reality of food consumption and it's origins. I can still remember some 60 years later how those peeps felt in my hand, the smell and their endearing sounds....

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are getting some pullets soon. We haven't had chickens for a couple of years. Best of luck with your little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am off the chair onto the floor with laughter... they are beautiful chicks and will be so beautiful grown. I am sure being raised in a Christmas tree box, will make up for being sold at Easter time... my boys are 52 and 54, at age 3 and 5 my dad took them to the feed store AT EASTER to buy veggie seeds and plants. they came home with a little yellow chick EACH. after I advised Daddy this would never happen again, we found a box and who knew how fast they got big enough to get out of the box. we lived in Savannah CITY LIMITS. no chicks allowed. my aunts maid had a lot of chickens, several big coops of them. that is how they fed their family. I did NOT tell my boys the chickens we were driving over to her house, would one day be EATEN... the story was our chickens were lonely and needed to be with other chickens. thanks for the memory

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ordered 6 Barred Rocks from the local feed store, and one of the girls that works there is going to raise them for me.....I just have to buy her a bag of feed.
    Yay!!! I'll buy her TWO.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute chick shots. Your dog's face though! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awwww...so cute! Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chickens will never be in my future due to residential geography but I have obsessively googled all variations of “can I keep ducks on a small creek if I am only there on the weekends?” And “will a peacock make too much noise?” And will guinea fowl be eaten by coyote or fox?” As I have a yearning for yard birds of some sort at our cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen, you're so funny. You did try to resist but obviously you have a weakness where the chicks are concerned, which in the scheme of life is not a bad one to have. Looking forward to more pics .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Mama Hen! They really are adorable. I know they must be a lot of work, but oh, those eggs! I think you did well to restrain yourself as long as you did!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...