Monday, August 19, 2013

You say TomAto, I say TomOto...

 
   First, I have to say this... Did any of you watch the Yankees Red Sox game last night?  My husband is a true blue Yankees fan, and while neither of us is a big A-Rod supporter, what the Sox did to him last night was nothing short of disgraceful. That kind of play should not be in baseball, and I believe the Yanks answer to that atrocity was perfect. And before we all crucify A-rod for the "Roid" debate.. there are just as many Sox over the years who could join that list, and they have.  That ump oughta retire, too. His judgement is clearly impaired,  or colored- RED.  

  In between trips to the cottage at the cove, we've been picking tomatoes.  Holy cow, have we been picking tomatoes.   There are three basic kinds of tomatoes...sauce tomatoes, slicing tomatoes and cherry.   Mike planted all three this year and they have produced!

These need a little window time to ripen to perfection.
Ugly does not mean they aren't delicious. 





The San Marzano is, in our opinion, the best sauce making tomato...
Next time you make sauce, be sure to use San Marzanos, you can buy them 
canned in the grocery store if you don't have them fresh. 



This is a "heart" tomato... it has a pinkish hue that my iphone did not capture. 


An Heirloom variety, seeds straight from Italy...


..and my Italian Ice cherries.. the only cherry tomato we planted this year.
They are easy to grow, sweet to the taste and prolific. 


With all these awesome tomatoes on the kitchen counter,
Mike was inspired to make some sauce....
or gravy, as I've been told any real Italian calls it.




I don't know.. I'm Italian.  To me sauce is sauce....
gravy is that brown stuff you put on a roast.

My dear Aunt Virginia, the most awesome Italian Cook I have ever been lucky enough to love,
 might just be rolling in her grave.

19 comments:

  1. The Yankees/Red Sox game was a topic at the kitchen table this morning, too... Ugh... the ump....

    I'm growing Italian Ice next year on your recommendation... and going back to a good sauce tomato like San Marzano.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anything about the baseball controversy. Unless it's about the Giants, good or bad, I don't hear about it.
    Holy Tomatoes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh- we're so far behind this year. My cherry tomatoes are green- prolific yes- but still green. Can't wait for that sweet tomato goodness fresh from the vine first bite- in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't see the game, but I'm a dyed in the wool Red Sox Fan!!! :)

    Now, let's talk sauce!!! Do you can your tomatoes? You should. There's nothing like opening a jar of summer in January!!!

    Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not Italian, so it's sauce, for sure! Gravy is a whole other ballgame and I do love me some gravy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be the part of Italy because my mother's family would never call it gravy. But Bob's family has been know to call it that. Gravy is brown. From MEAT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have a clue about what happened last night. But, what I do know is that those tomato's look good enough to eat!

    You guys are really great farmers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. something weird about me....i have never bought a tomato EVER.

    forever i hated them and tomato soup, even though a red sauce on anything was fine.

    i don't know when i actually ate a tomato on something, but after i did, they no longer bothered me as "gross" and i've been eating them on or with anything now for years.....BUT never at home.

    i still have never bought a tomato.
    weird i know....xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMGoodness- Those are some good looking tomatoes there. I think they used to call a good-looking gal a HOT tomato? Takes on a whole new meaning with a pot and a stove! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks amazing! I know it must make your whole house smell wonderful! Enjoy your week my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We bought some tomatoe plants on the weekend only 3 of them but that will be enough-love deex

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you come and can my tomatoes, I'm tired of them! Looks like Chili sauce is on my to do list tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tomatoes look wonderful! Mine were a dissaster this year! None would turn yellow! Had to pick all the green ones and had fried green tomatoes!! Was good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen - no matter how you say it they look beautiful and delicious.
    -Joan-
    www.mvobsession.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daughter is learning all about how to make "sauce". To me, sauce is sauce!!

    Those little yellow tomatoes look great! We have been enjoying the local Farmer's goodies around here...the cottage is surrounded by some really GREAT farms!! The corn has been so very sweet this year! The tomatoes we had for dinner tonight were similar to what you have pictured here. I so miss the home grown stuff during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I'm being honest here, I saw highlights/lowlights of the treatment A-Rod got in Boston, and I must say I was not unhappy. Your point as to the many Sox players who have crossed the line is well taken, but I'm sick of the smug look on A-Rods face when he answers questions.
    Can we agree to disagree?
    One thing for sure, you have quite the tamada garden. ( thats how we say it in Philly) Wasn't it not too long ago that you were exasperated at the condition of your garden? Amazing turn around.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh! I thought my measly, "Whole Lotta Hope" garden produced well for me. Now I think it wasn't even a garden at all! Your tomatoes are amazing and beautiful. Looks like you will have a lot of sauce sunday's!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...