Today is football Sunday here at This Old House....
where the men are men and the women are useless.
Unless they're serving up a plate of cranberry meatballs
or crackers and cheese with pepperoni, please.
Now I like football, I watch it when my team is playing
(Go Patriots!!)
but hour after hour gets a bit redundant and what's left of my hearing
is in jeapardy with all the hooting and hollering that goes on in that cave.
So a walk with the dog(s) it shall be...
and a little admiration of the one thousand common grackles that have decended
at the feeder outside my kitchen window.
I'm guessing this kind of encounter inspired good ole Alfred Hitchcock for
his movie, THE BIRDS.
Did you see Anthony Hopkins in the movie..Hitchcock?
He's one of my favorites, but in this movie he was particularly wonderful.
Amazing, no?
I personally believe the common grackle is one of the most beautious birds around.
If I could convince one to stay as a pet, I'd be tickled all the irridescent
colors these birds show off - they literally glimmer -
why they got such a common name is beyond me.
Seriously looking dude..






I find it so hard to believe that's Anthony Hopkins, but I swear that man could do anything. I love so many of his movies and his voice is so appealing to me.
ReplyDeleteYou make those grackles look amazing! I tend to take them for granted, since we have so many around here. Those things can be insanely noisy, especially when there's a bunch of them.
Enjoy football Sunday... and your walk. Wish I was there to walk with you, but you can share it with me in photos.
That last photo is a bit spooky...and amazing! I have not seen this movie but we are HUGE Hitchcock fans and love watching his old thrillers. Love the color you still have in your trees and your beautiful banner!
ReplyDeleteI checked Hitchcock out of the library about 2 months ago. I ADORED it! Soooo good. Hopkins did a fantastic job.
ReplyDeleteI checked Hitchcock out of the library about 2 months ago. I ADORED it! Soooo good. Hopkins did a fantastic job.
ReplyDeleteYou have very pretty photos of the grackles. I just keep getting more and more sparrows. Ack.
ReplyDeleteI saw Hitchcock and loved the movie. I didn't know anything about his history but loved the story about him and his wife.
Niners have a bye this week....no football here.
awesome shots! i saw my first grackle flock here today, too! one of my dogs let out a couple of 'woofs' as they descended on the yard near the feeders and they all flew off and left! at least for today...
ReplyDeleteI like the grackles too, and we'll be seeing them around the feeder soon, I think... right now, only chicadees and sparrows, but that will change soon.
ReplyDeleteMy goodness, Karen...I didn't know it was Anthony Hopkins that was played Hitchcock in this newer series! I just happened to catch an episode last weekend, they do half hour shows on some cable channel and I thought, hmmmm...I could get into this!
ReplyDeleteYour pictures are unbelievable. Bring on the football so you get out and bring us more beauty to look at!
XO,
Jane
I adore that last shot of the grackles. They are beauties.
ReplyDeleteThey look a little spooky to me too...especially that one fella giving you the stink eye ;)
ReplyDeleteGreat shots k !!!!
ReplyDeleteKaren - I have to say that I'd be a lot freaked out with all those birds :)
ReplyDeleteI saw "The Birds" back in 1963 and still haven't gotten over some of the scenes. My husband, then my fiance, took me for pizza after the movie and I couldn't even look at it. Anyone who has seen that movie will get my gist ... lol.
The grackles are beautiful though... just not close up for me :)
-Joan-
www.mvobsession.com
I love football, no matter who's playing. (and NASCAR). Don't like Grackles, though. They are thugs ... but they ARE pretty.
ReplyDelete