Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Red Dog Project

  By now if you've been reading my blog for a while, you know about the shelter dog rescue group I belong to, Dog Days Adoption Events.  I am so excited about a new project Dog Days has initiated, called The Red Dog Project.   What is it, exactly?   


The Red Dog Project rescues high risk (kill shelter) dogs and puppies and places them with inmates to socialize them so they may be re-homed.   Currently the dogs for this project are with women inmates and have to be able to stay in a room behind a baby gate. In the next phase, we hope to also put together teams of  male inmates and  pit bulls who are capable of solid rehabilitation. 

   Below are some of the puppies who have completed their initial training and wellness program and are available for adoption.   As is always the case... in order to be able to do this, we need to raise funds.  We can't save our next batch of shelter dogs until we've raised the funds to do so.  If you have an interest in adopting one of the Red Dog Project puppies, visit www.godogdays.org or send an e-mail inquiry to the e-mail listed on each of the pups ads below.  Donations are easy to do, just click on the DONATE link on the face of the website. Every single dollar helps us bring these dogs HOME.  



    
 
  

9 comments:

  1. Oh, what a great idea!! I love it, and hope that it's a huge success. And you get a double bang for the buck because the dogs will help the inmates at least as much as they, themselves will get. A win-win!! Happy New Year Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this is a great success and it does sound like a win-win situation! Blessings to you in this New Year- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately our adopting days are over but the program sounds like a good match. Curious about why are the Pits matched with male inmates? ...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen TV programs where they do this and I think it's a fantastic idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute pups. I hope they find loving forever homes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen,

    What a fantastic program! I have just taken in two foster dogs destined for death by heart stick. I've also taken in another stray cat.

    I'm so glad there are people like you and your group helping the innocent animals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have Arkansas Paws in Prison here which I promote every chance I get! Male and female inmates participate but they are not breed specific. Just dogs facing euthanasia. Some have been trained for therapy dogs and are in nursing homes and schools. These are great programs. Also our local animal control has greatly increased cat adoption with "Cats Night Out" twice monthly when they offer FREE adoption of fully vetted and sterilized cats on Thursday evenings at Little Rock Animal Village

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read about programs like this...some of what I read says that the inmates receive just as much back from the experience as the dogs do. Imagine that :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...