I'm kicking it around again. If you've been reading this blog since I started years ago, two things were happening at the same time. We were putting This Old House back together and I was a partner in a little artisan gift shop just up the road in a friend's retail space. Click HERE for a blast from that past.
While it was only a two year stint and there was definitely some heartship and heartache as we stumbled through a worsening economy, Fire & Rain brought me a lot of joy and gave me experience I would never have had if we hadn't given it a shot. I met some wonderful people and saw what it meant to create a little space where people could come and browse and admire the crafts of others, talk up the community scene, gift themselves or another with something someone else had made infused with love.
The aggravations? Well, my hearing loss is always a difficult navigation in public but I managed and people were kind. I won't let that be the reason I don't do it again. The bills...hmmm, not easy, but we paid them with a little left over, in the worst of this economy. That tells me we had something good going on.
The plus side... meeting so many talented people and selling their pottery, jewelry, photography, paintings, quilt work, candles, soaps, fair trade items, etc. etc. etc... And getting to know so many customers, sharing the days news or weather, it was a good feeling, that little space we filled with "stuff". Needful things, I like to say. We had a goldfish bowl on the counter filled with chocolates, a - help yourself - and people always did.
I don't know that I'm jumping back in those waters for sure, but I am kicking it around. This time I would proceed without a partner, which was a comfort as well as a difficult navigation. I think most partnerships are. Heck, think of any marriage!
What would I do this time? Well, location is everything. I'd look for something along route 1, our shoreline area.. with an affordable rent. There-in lies one of the major rubs. My vision is to have another artisan shop, but with a little different vibe. You all know I am BIG into animal rescue, and one wall would be dedicated to framed photos and descriptions of local dogs and cats who are languishing in shelters in need of a home. A wall of adoptables. There would also be a coffee station where you can make your own coffee using the available Keurig machine for a donation in the amount of your choice, even a dollar is OK - all proceeds go to our rescue mission at dog days or CT Animal House. I have this vision of a big cork board too, a Community center full of information on local events, available jobs, whatever the community comes in to tack up. As for the merchandise... pottery and jewelry made by local artisans, clothing with logos from rescue organizations, dog and cat bowls and supplies made by local artisans, hand crafted items made from recycled materials, fair trade items, candles and soaps, even some refurbished antique toys, and a few handpicked vintage items. This would all be displayed well... not made to look like a cluttered attic, which is how it may sound to you right now...lol...
The name? I'm thinking... RESCUED. The other name that floats around in my thoughts is HAVEN. These two words can mean a lot of things... can you see it? Can you feel it? No?... that's what I need to know.
I don't know the area, of course, so it's hard for me to know what kind of traffic you'll see. RESCUED doesn't appeal to me at first thought, not sure why. I'm thinking something with the word HOME because the dogs and all the special items are looking for their home.
ReplyDeleteAre you giving any more thought to the CI ?
I wish we could all know if we are doing the right thing when it comes to our dreams and plans. I wonder if you want to try this on your own this time.Does your husband agree with giving this a go? Will it in any way be a drain on your finances?
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of helping out the rescue.
Ultimately you will know what really feels right to you.
Karen I am TOT-a-ly feeling it!
ReplyDeleteI applaud (and encourage) you to explore (and if workable act upon) this. It would bring so much to you, the community, the clients, the dogs.
I think both potential names are excellent. RESCUED is great for the obvious connection to the dogs and for "the act of seeking and looking and caring outside ones self (which is the kind of shop you'd create, no doubt)!
I favor HAVEN just a touch more because whenever I set foot in shop such as you describe I feel as tho it IS a haven. A few hours hard won (or stolen lol) to treat myself. Haven because it favors and offers art/items made by hand in a world that mostly offers big-box-no-heart-store-ness. It would be a haven for artists stories and the visitors stories, the owner stories, the animals stories (or tales? lol). For community stories, heart, coffee, chat.
A place warm and safe and making a difference to small artists/creators and people and animals and the town (and of course you) a 'home' of sorts ~ a HAVEN in oh so many ways.....
So exciting to explore such and idea - and no matter what the outcome it'll be an adventure! Woot! lol
Keep us posted
Hugs Issy
I wish you the very best of luck and let me know when you open - on a trip to Boston I can swing by and say hello!
ReplyDeleteMy worthless opinion on names - RESCUED sounds too much like it might be a store selling used merchandise, a consignment shop, Second Time Around type of thing.
A name with the word HAVEN in it would probably work better.
What I'd like to know is if YOU can feel it? And I think you obviously can because you have a picture of it in your mind. I can see you doing something like this and I love the idea, especially combined with the rescue aspect of it for the animals. Not for the name, however. Haven would be a better fit in that respect.
ReplyDeleteHaven . . . & your byline could be "A place to rescue yourself" . . .
ReplyDeleteI also vote Haven especially since you are promoting two venues, artists and animals. I believe you will have to carefully balance the two.
ReplyDeleteAs for going it alone- although I see the advantages, you are the only one responsible for everything- a daunting and time consuming task unless you also have some trusted part time help. I have two friends who ran shops alone for many years and their entire world was the shop, and the struggle was just that- a struggle.
It is a wonderful idea to explore, research and build a business plan and once you feel that you have balanced the pros and cons I say move forward.
Your thoughts are leading you in this direction, follow them and see where it takes you <3 You just may stumble onto the perfect path.
This is a genius idea and I hope you follow through. I wish I were there and I'd do it with you. A perfect concept with a worthwhile cause and it's all in fun! I love your commenter's idea of "Haven" a place to rescue yourself. Sounds like a big project but, if anyone can do it, you can! Go for it!
ReplyDeletei like 'rescued' for a resale type shop, but since you're going to have a lot of artists' freshly-made goods, i'm not sure it fits.
ReplyDelete'haven' reminds me of my niece's efforts to begin a humane society in wisconsin called safe haven, so i'd not opt for that one.
as for your dream, i hope you can find a suitable place to make it happen!
ReplyDeleteKaren - I like what Ocean Breezes said: Haven....& your byline could be "A place to rescue yourself"...
Sounds to me like you're getting close to jumping back in the waters. (applause applause)
-Joan-
www.mvobsession.com
I AM feeling it......and I hope you would be selling some stuff from Crazy as a Loom.......but before you do it, let's talk......I started CAAL from nothing.....and made all the mistakes, and learned a ton.......I offer my help and advice for free.........would love to see you succeed.
ReplyDeleteSounds like your heart is really in your new Haven about to be born
ReplyDeleteGood Luck And sure you will keep us posted
I'm feeling it, too! "Haven" sounds so perfect! And I have lots of weaving to sell... And it is different from Hilary's! I was so smitten with your other shop and wish I could have visited then...love artisan shops and the rescue twist is wonderful!
ReplyDeleteGo for it! If anyone can do it, you can! Definition of Haven: A place of refuge or rest; a sanctuary... I like it!
ReplyDeleteGreat idea. Wish there was a shop like that in my neighborhood.
ReplyDeleteWell, I feel it.
ReplyDeleteI know you can do it, and with the support of your family and friends, it will be awesome.
Have been thinking about what the others have said concerning a name. Definitely agree about Haven, and as MsA pointed out the definition is perfect.
I wonder if you might consider something like Hope's Haven, Hope Haven, Haven of Hope or something along those lines since you'll be featuring the rescue animals that need a home and you most sincerely have a heart of them, and hope they'll be placed in a wonderful home. (just my pea brain thinking) :)
xoxo
I love the name Haven, and I love the idea. People are craving a return to handcrafted, unique merchandise over mass produced imports...at least some people are, and I am one of them! I say think about how it will impact the life you now lead, whether you are up for the challenges of buying trips, working at the shop, etc. and if the pros outweigh the cons, you should go for it! If not now, when?!
ReplyDeletexo Kat
Go for it! And I like the name Haven also.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea! I especially love the name Rescued but thinking of a shop specializing in recycled, reused craftiness and maybe an antique or two:) That is exactly the kind of shop I would stop in:)
ReplyDeletei love the name RESCUED....it works for the animals, the items you sell, the items you might find at a flea market to sell, a refurbished piece of anything.
ReplyDeletealso, maybe you would want some art from other places in the united states. often when i'm in a touristy area, i don't want the art from a local artist but instead the art from someone in a neighboring state...weird i know, but just a thought.
obviously i love that you have the gumption, the energy and the ability to want to have your own shop....xo
I can't say that the name, Rescued, would appeal to me if I were a shopper.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I would like to say that if you have the opportunity to follow your dream, do it! We only get one life!
How exciting for you! Our friend opened The Trove on Rt 1 in Old Saybrook 14 months ago. My daughter closed her antique business in Hebron last summer and now works and rents at the Trove. If we can be of any help to you in any way, please let us know. We LOVE dogs and applaud all of your efforts toward rescue.
ReplyDeleteHi Karen,
ReplyDeleteThis post reminded me of the opening song from the old Popeye movie: Sweet, sweet Haven: God must love us! Yes, your shop was a haven for many, and if you venture this way again, a haven it will be no matter what you name it. Best to you!!! Vivika
Oh, Karen- I think it is a wonderful idea. Have you put numbers to paper to ensure that it will not be a long-term financial burden? Start up costs, of course, are always more than you expect they will be.
ReplyDeleteThe name Rescued to me says USED furniture and goods and would be a wonderful name for a shop that promoted that sort of thing.
Haven speaks to me of a place of shelter and care but I would not associate it with anything being "for sale". I do think of a place of warmth and nurturing with that name. IF your goods are going to be works of art what about Haven with the by-line- A place for lovers of Art & Animals....something along that line anyway. (can you tell I used to be in marketing?;>) lol
If it is your heart's desire- I say GO FOR IT!!!! xo Diana
Love this idea!! Haven is awesome! Animals & Artisans....A&A Haven...a place to rescue yourself. You CAN do this and it sure sounds to me like you have a LOT of support!! I'm with Tia...if I was closer, I would SO love to work with you on this. What an adventure!! Wishing you strength to make the final decision...and hugs...just because of the person you are!!
ReplyDeleteOkay let me first say that I think you should follow your heart. I believe you're talented, caring, creative, and smart. I also believe you have a strong family who will help you tremendously in what you decide.
ReplyDeleteSo I don't want to come off as negative. Full disclosure: I just finished the construction and stress of a new business location so I'm still a little shell shocked.
But
I don't think you need the headaches. To make enough to cover the cost of a bricks and mortar when you have etsy and eBay eating into your market would be challenging. To make enough to cover your costs and give back would be even more difficult. The economy is in an odd situation right now, based on my observations and those of other small business owners. I work in a wealthy enclave where people really put the brakes on big stuff like building new houses and buying new cars in 2008-2012. But they continued to spend on small stuff. I had a reasonably successful catering business and built my independent salon in that time. But recently as people are starting to spend again on big things, the cash for smaller things isn't as available.
I think maybe the happy medium here is to organize craft fairs. Maybe once a month or every two months. Set up the space and time for these people to sell their goods and donate a percentage to the rescue. That eliminates the overhead. I know I'd dedicate a post a month or whatever on my blog to your craft fair, and I'm sure every other commenter here would too.
What you are aiming to do is, no doubt, for the greater good. It would feed you in a spiritual way. My concern is just that everyday struggles like having another floor to vacuum and more windows to clean would cloud your enthusiasm for your higher purpose. But again, I think you sort of have a golden touch (look at your gorgeous children and home!) so I'm sure whatever you decide will be a success.
Port in a Storm
ReplyDeleteHarbor Light
Gimme Shelter (copyright snafus?)
Soft Place to Land
Now that I step back these might all seem too kitschy. Although the name of my little consignment shop so many years ago was "The Extra Hanger" which at the time I thought so very very clever. :)
I like what Stephen said though. I have a friend that has kiosk space here and there and does antique/craft fairs at local malls.
Sounds like you are sussing through all the need-to-knows and will figure it out. You know we're all here to support!
And if I EVER get your way I can stop in with my Burn Unit (name for our RV?).
Hugs and smooches my tender-hearted friend.
I would totally shop there! I like your choices of names, also. Can't decide between the two? How about a combination of the two words? Something like.....Rescued Haven or Haven Rescue?
ReplyDeleteI think this sounds like something you would enjoy, Karen. I guess that's what you have to decide...if it's how you want to spend your time. I don't care for the word Rescued for what you have in mind but Haven is perfect. Sweet hugs!
ReplyDeleteAh, Karen, I hadn't seen this yet. I love the name Haven. I think this would be so neat - especially because it would be exactly where your heart lies. I can't wait to hear more about everything. It would be so neat if you could set up 'shop' online as well - so we could take a walk through your store.
ReplyDeleteAh, Karen, I hadn't seen this yet. I love the name Haven. I think this would be so neat - especially because it would be exactly where your heart lies. I can't wait to hear more about everything. It would be so neat if you could set up 'shop' online as well - so we could take a walk through your store.
ReplyDeleteSome of our local antiques malls which I had kind of lost interest in, have had some amazing "shop" in their booths recently. I've been playing around with the idea of renting a space--I just don't want to be tied down to going anywhere everyday --especially on weekends. My grandkids are involved in lots of activities and I want to be available, but staying home all day every day is a bit lonely. Have you considered renting a space in a local Antiques Mall where you could come and go as you wish? Some of our local ones have booth owners work some days to take off their rent so they have more profit. Some of these booths are like amazing shops and some give some of their profits to pet rescue.
ReplyDelete