Many people shy away from talking about controversial issues on their blog space and I understand why one would choose to do so. When people feel passionate about an issue, especially emotionally fraught subjects such rights, religion and equality.....emotion, more often than not, mires what could be a constructive conversation. We all know this to be true, and yet it is so damned difficult to stick to the facts, Ma'am. Just the facts. I can tell you it's never my intention when I bring up a sticky subject to find someone who opposes me so I can argue the point or belittle them. I am genuinely interested in all perspectives.. sometimes it sheds some light. And sometimes it just tangles the web even more.
That being said, I will continue to bring up topics now and again that I think are worth taking the risk to "discuss". I welcome all points of view, as long as we are decent to each other in the discussion. I can't help it if you don't like what I have to say, and I'm not always going to like your ideas either. I try to be diplomatic and I don't always succeed. Running away from things just because they can become uncomfortable never solves anything. That's the nature of life. It's how we deal with these differences that say a lot about who we are and whether we can be part of the solution or add to the problem, regardless of viewpoint.
(In my best Forrest Gump voice)
... "And that's all I'm gonna say about that".
karen, That is a great thing about you that I appreciate.
ReplyDeleteSomeone just told me yesterday, some folks will always want to say something just because they want to argue - and then some folks? They get to hear the other side of the story.
Good job for bringing things up that you want to.
It's good to get your knickers in a knot once in a while. It keeps me buying new knickers and change is always good.
ReplyDeleteI've said this before, I believe you can do whatever you want! You can't worry about us and our knickers. We'll be just fine.
Keep on doing what you do. You're the best at it!
Wow, I read the post about Arizona and I am shocked that anyone would feel this is OK. In private life one can pick and choose with whom they wish to be around, however, in the public arena, racism and prejudice are no longer acceptable. Our Government regulates what is right and fair and representative of most of the people (mostly)and sets a standard of rights we all should observe. First restaurants, what next. Perhaps Arizona should allow banks to stop serving gay customers and supermarkets to refuse food sales to gay people if "that's what they believe. My belief is to treat people kindly and with compassion and respect. ALL people.
ReplyDeleteOne thing though, is I am sure that all the restaurants that refuse service to gay people likely don't serve many anyway because people have a way of sussing out situations and places where they are not welcome and likely they don't got to "these" restaurants anyway.
As a Canadian, I am proud to say that "Gay" isn;t really an issue anywhere. All Provinces recognise gay marriage and rights and as a matter of fact it was a question on my Citizenship test.
I am not well versed on American politics, but I get a real sense that each State is like a separate country with it's laws and value systems.
I am truly saddened to realise this as actually been made a law. What next....signs on bar widows excluding un wed mothers, muslims, Children without daddy's....all in the name of religious beliefs.
Ahhhh you wrote everything I wanted to write. It's so much bigger than restaurants.
DeleteKaren I totally appreciate that you keep your blog in the real world.
I love that you are not afraid to tackle difficult issues!
ReplyDeleteI love your opinions. It's always nice to have validation on my own ;-)
ReplyDeleteWe humans are never going to totally agree on all issues; as a family we don't always agree so why would it be different with our friends.
ReplyDeleteThere are a lot of issues I don't talk or write about simply because I'm not completely understanding or well versed. But, that does not mean I don't like a "friendly" discussion.
I like that you bring forth your true and real nature; giving your opinions and 99% of the time I agree. :)
If only everyone were as thoughtful and tactful with difficult topics as you are, the world would be a much better place!
ReplyDeletei love coming here because you do DO/SAY/SHARE what others don't….just saying :)
ReplyDeletexo
i love coming here because you do DO/SAY/SHARE what others don't….just saying :)
ReplyDeletexo
Hear hear and don't change a thing..but maybe i say that because we agree on almost everything..ya think? lol
ReplyDeleteKaren, you know where I stand..."got your back!" And behind you 100%...:)JP
ReplyDeleteThankfully, the point is moot!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.cnn.com/2014/02/26/politics/arizona-brewer-bill/
This makes my month. Perhaps my year!
I enjoy hearing you take on various issues and the conversation after is quite interesting. The key is to hear people out and respect that we all have different opinions. I think you do a fine job of that, Karen.
ReplyDeleteXO,
Jane
Good for you (and you are right!).
ReplyDeleteA reader in Middletown, CT