Saturday, February 1, 2014

Ugly

Are you familiar with  the blog by Stephanie Nielsen, a woman horribly burned in a flying accident about six-seven years ago?  Her blog HERE  .   I don't remember where I first heard her story, but I began reading her blog as she chronicled her struggle to recover from a near fatal accident that burned over 80 percent of her body. At the time she was the young mother of four children.  I was amazed at her courage and determination to get back to some semblance of a normal life, the family she cherished.

And now I'll admit because I want to be honest before I accuse... that I stopped reading it other than a catch up now and then because in my opinion her blog became more of  a Mormon pulpit, an advertisement for the people and companies who undoubtedly send her lovely things for all her support of their product, and ... every single family event is photographed by a professional photographer. For me, reading Nienie was no longer about admiring and cheering on  a journey being hard won by a determined woman against significant odds.  Laced in with the happy family occasions that we all loved to see was all the commercial and Mormon peddling that became too preachy for me.

I did what is appropriate to do when you start feeling differently about something like this... I just stopped reading it so often, although I check in now and then because I do still find her story amazing, her courage inspiring, and I wish her family the best,  always happy to hear of their triumph over a horrible incident that has no doubt changed their lives forever.

What really surprised me recently was... I stumbled across a blog that is set up solely to -hate- on Stephanie Neilsen. Thankfully she doesn't get much attention.   But..there is a mommy bloggers feed with 700 something comments all aimed at Nienie -hate-.  This feed is out there for anyone to read.. including Stephanie and even more horribly, her children.   The ugly comments range from calling her snarky to sophomoric to selfish and there's an awful lot of what can only be referred to as  jealous rage over the things she has been gifted because of her accident and incredible story.

It's downright ugly and far worse than anything she could be putting on her blog -  HER BLOG - which is a chronicle of what she wants to talk about, a chronicle of her family's journey.  HER JOURNEY. To snipe at someone in such a public fashion, the masses gathering to do so!... just because you don't like her personality or what she chooses to believe in or the things she is gifted because of it...well, Jeez, have you held an honest mirror up to yourself lately?... is what I want to say.   This particular person, no matter WHAT she has gained financially since her accident... is horribly disfigured and suffers pain every single day.  Not one of these mean spirited people  would trade places with her ..... ever.

There are times when I am so uplifted by the generosity of the human spirit... and times when I cry at how low it can go.

- Just sayin.  


16 comments:

  1. I'm an ex-NieNie reader as well - mainly for the reasons that you outlined (too much pushing of Mormon faith, vendors, etc.) She is a very strong woman to have gone through what she did. I had no idea that there were people out there that would actually take the time to post ugly things about her (or anyone for that matter). It's disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to all of that…I too don't read NIe as much as I once did- although I have great admiration for her as well. I can't say anything turned me away, but when you mention it I get what you are saying.

    Yes, it seems whenever some bloggers "get big" the attention can turn to negativity and "ugly" is horribly accurate.

    Thanks for your gift!! Such a nice surprise to wake up and find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your honesty - we might all stop reading a blog for whatever reason. maybe we don't agree with the author's politics or religious views, or feel like they are just too self-involved. but i hope to never spread hatred or jealousy or spite. there is so much of it in our world.

    i've never read her blog but know of her story just from other bloggers mentioning it. bless her and her family - and all they receive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be fascinated to see as time goes by what the psychological analysis is behind the many people who behave so hatefully on the internet. I think it has to go beyond boredom and jealousy into some unique form of neurosis in which these people think the author is talking to THEM specifically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To me a blog that's sole purpose is to hate on someone be banned (and criminally punished if necessary) much like any other racial or religious hate propaganda.

    I have read Nie Nie and wonder if her life is her blog, or her blog dictates her life. The whole pro photography thing is likely Mormon sponsored.

    What I really wonder most is why anyone cares. Yes, we care very much that she suffered horribly and commend her for her brave struggle with recuperation. That was an inspirational and human story that was valid and worthwhile. BUT why ,why, why do we care when a survivor of a horrific accident goes to Disneyland any more that we care if a top model or a plain ordinary mother goes. The same goes for why we care what the inside of a bloggers' pantry makeover (tidy up) looks like. Out capacity for the non relevant and mundane is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and I both know there are some mean bloggers out there, but to have a blog with the sole purpose of bashing ANYONE is wrong on so many levels and shouldn't be allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so stunned. Stunned.

    You know, I started and restarted this comment several times - I think I'm too blown away by the nastiness to even say anything.

    I think all we can do is continue to love. Love those around us - no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheap shots at people annoy me as there is no reason...why can't they just walk away?...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is this hate blog on GOMI? (Get Off My Internets?) I only became aware of this site a few weeks ago, when another blogwriter who I read sometimes mentioned it. When I had a look, I was taken aback at the level of vitriol and spite that prevails. And no one is spared. They even pick on a woman who is grieving the suicide of a close family member.
    Puts me off ever having a blog!

    Kathy from Tasmania

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find that I lose interest in most blogs that become driven by commercial motives. Blogging to promote sponsors or to receive items or money is advertising, and I choose to limit my exposure to this. There are quite a few blogs that I read years ago that I no longer visit because I question whether the opinions expressed are their own or are influenced by others.

    For me, I don't have sponsors or ads because I don't want to be beholden to anyone ... Having someone tell me when and how often and what I publish ain't gonna happen here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll never understand hate or jealousy. I suppose people like that do so for attention; it's all I can figure. Sad. Very sad.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I sat here for a few minutes trying to decide if I could add anything to the conversation that has not already been said and finally I had this thought..
    "This is why I hibernate"
    Anymore, most folks just confuse me. Thank God for the good ones out there but I will continue to flee from the horrid ones.
    A very insightful and thoughtful post my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i used to read her blog too….and then stopped after her last baby born…due to a number of reasons.

    BUT to have a hate blog about anyone is beyond what i find acceptable. that just makes my blood boil. people can be so ugly.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unbelievable ! Your reading my mind again Karen!
    Just can't even believe this one.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  15. i stopped reading it for the same reasons, but my goodness, I DO NOT understand why there are those who feel such animosity toward this woman who is a survivor, a role model and a good person. Whenever I run across this sort of thing, and you see it in snarky and mean spirited comments in many places on the web, I despair.

    It's really much easier for people to be nice. And, failing that, to shut up and mind their own business.

    Thanks, Karen.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  16. I completely agree! I'm turned off by quite a few of the Latter Day Saints blogs that promote their faith, but I can't believe there are people out there with nothing better to do than spout hate. I stumbled upon a blog a few years ago by a woman who proclaimed herself an atheist and hated anything to do with faith and especially targeted Pioneer Woman with her vitriol. She actually came across as jealous of Ree Drummond I thought. What compels someone to hate someone like that? Her blog became something really ugly and mean and I stopped reading.
    V

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...