Tuesday, April 8, 2014

HAIR


  We love it, we hate it.  We want it where we don't have enough of it and we want to get rid of it where we have too much of it.   Doesn't seem fair, does it. 

  I have had long hair, I've had sorta short-ish hair.  My husband loves REAL short hair on women.. go figure.  I don't know if I'll choose really short hair unless I'm lucky to get really old.  - not that there's anything wrong with really short hair.

  I only go to the hairdresser a few times a year, if that.  Lazy about the trims, don't like sitting in a salon chair for any length of time, although I have a terrific stylist who is fun and spunky and makes the time go by fast. 

  So, what to do.  Two nights ago at the dinner table...

Him:  Um... are you going to the hair salon this week?   (he never pays attention to these things)

Me:  Why, yes I am. I have an appointment on Wednesday.

Him:  Good, your hair is looking ratty.

Now, right there I wanted to maybe slap him, or perhaps just an arm pinch and a really mean stare.

But right behind him came the rising son's remark....

Him 2:   Yeah, mom, definitely... get a haircut.


So off I go tomorrow and I don't know what to do.  Help me out here.  First, I am getting a glaze, which is not quite a Dye Job, but sort of a rich color wash to deepen and fortify the color.  I think.


Shorter days...
 

 
 
 
My current ratty self...

 
 
 
 
This is what I have in mind maybe... maybe not? 
(minus the color)
 
 
Or this?
 


 
 
 
 
 
So, what say you... any other suggestions?   I have plenty of hair, but
it's fine/thin.  Sometimes what I want isn't do-able with the styles I like.

  oooh, Stephen.....

 
 


27 comments:

  1. Karen - I like both but what about a compromise tapered hair style ?
    I tried to copy & paste one but it didn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops... obviously didn't look all the way down your post to see the pictures .. lol
    I like the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the photo of you with shorter hair. Not sure you want to deal with it, but highlights would brighten up your face and give you a nice lift for Spring. I have a darker color underneath and highlights over it...I love it and it also adds some depth and texture. Have fun!! Ratty? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shorter hair on you and I would lighten it up, like one of the photos, I think you would look stunning!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you've found some great inspiration photos....lots of layers and the ends all different lengths and shorter...lots shorter! It will be perfect for Spring! And it will always grow! lol Come back and show us what it looks like...promise! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I would say ratty! I, predictably, have a few thoughts :). It is not uncommon for clients to only come in 2-3 times a year. The problem is that sometimes there is a misunderstanding on the stylist end that someone who comes infrequently is "not that into" her hair. So there is a perceived suggestion to make the haircut as "easy" as possible. Easy for the client, not the stylist. A haircut with a complex pattern of layering has an expiration date. 3-6 weeks. Longer hair with long layers-maybe 6-10 weeks. So a cut like an a-line bob or a graduated bob should fall into place the next morning when you wash and style your own hair, because the layering is doing the work for you. But cuts like that grow out fairly quickly. Which means either more frequent visits to the salon or challenging hair days. Because of that the inclination on the stylist's part is to give a very blended haircut that is essentially a slightly manicured version of its natural growth pattern.
    While those are often the only two outcomes (aggressive stylists giving angular cuts ignoring client lifestyle and sensitive stylists perhaps being overly cautious). I think the first question you need to ask yourself is does it bother you when it flips out at your shoulders? At your length right now, if the flip drives you insane, you might want to let it get a little longer. Often in hairstyling magazines there are photos of women with medium length hair styled inward which gives the impression it won't flip. That is heavily styled hair with flat ironing. When hair falls at the shoulders, it will flip. Unless it's curly. I happen to like a little flip with shoulder length hair because it's easy for clients to style and it's always moving. Moving hair is fresh and youthful. If you were in my chair I would suggest that we bring up the overall length to the collar bone, and layer in outward-falling (exterior) pattern with the shortest of the layering falling at the base of the occipital, or where the head stars curving into the neck. I think that would give you a lot of lift through the crown and would also help distribute your wave more evenly when you wear it natural...while still blowing out beautifully. I would caution against much facial framing or bangs. I would do a little starting at the top of your chin as to open your face and soften the edges of the cut. At that length, the framing would not fall out when you put it up, as one probably does often with horses and chickens!
    Now if you're not keen on the flip, which many women are not, you'll need to stay longer than shoulder length or go comfortably above the "collar line" as in where the top of a collared shirt would sit. That's pretty short.
    I'm sorry to ramble on and on but I think sometimes stylists speak a foreign language since salons are little worlds of their own. And usually a dissatisfied or tepid client is merely the result of a stylist and client failing to understand each other completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say while those are often the only two outcomes, those are not the only two options :)

      Delete
  7. I like the last photo and think that would be lovely on you-love dee x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say, "listen to Stephen." Wow, I wish I had a stylist who would explain a haircut the way he did. It would make picking a style much, much easier (and fun) and knowing that it would be easy to style myself would be a great help!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You already know what I did when I was presented with this dilemma two summer ago ... pixie cut!! My husband also likes really short hair on women. Good thing, because that's what he got. What I got was a trip to the stylist every six weeks. Thank goodness my new stylist is fun and gets it. She convinced me to let the top of my pixie grow a bit and keep the sides and back short and I love it! (This look isn't for everyone, but it certainly is good for me.)

    I don't like either of your example photos because I keep thinking of desperately trying to keep the bangs out of my face while working outside ... just my own prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. While I think you always look beautiful, the shorter days make you look younger. Of course, I try to tell my daughter that, but she loves hers long, and like you she looks beautiful either way.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i like the kelly cut.

    but i'm BIG on short, short myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=3O4tubkmG59S7M&tbnid=LYh2oo7lPUDpjM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marieclaire.co.uk%2Fbeauty%2Fgalleries%2F11838%2F0%2Fshort-hairstyles.html&ei=rCFEU8noO4LJsQTFqILgDQ&bvm=bv.64367178,d.dmQ&psig=AFQjCNECJhI34E-WZhqfQcBLnhWZKOTBKg&ust=1397060394328635


    LOL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That wasn't the link I was going for. But in those pics is Charleze Theron. THAT was who I was going for but it wouldn't post in a comment. Lost it's luster. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the ratty old self. Your hair is so pretty long. Leave it alone, except to color if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have the solution to your hair dilemma... move Stephen in with you!

    All kidding aside, what you are calling ratty looks quite tame to me. I could show you what ratty looks like. I'd be thrilled to have YOUR ratty. Personally, I do not like Kelly's hair in that photo. I don't like hair hanging IN the eyes, period, on anyone. Even the other photo, while cuter, is still IN her (one) eye. That's a no go for me.

    I have dark circles under my eyes (wrinkles and sags, too) and don't need anything to accentuate, or draw more attention to the area.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like the shorter hair on you-as in that first picture. I think it is young and fun.

    I do think you have to be careful if you have fine hair because those heavily layered cuts don't always perform they way they do on denser hair.

    I like Stephen's idea but if you only go two or three times a year that might preclude something that needs regular trims to stay styled and manageable.

    Good luck- you are beautiful no matter what you do. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like both cuts, and it would have been pinches all around for me!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh can we trade husbands! I don't like my long hair, HE does.

    The joke around here is, if he dies first, I'm stopping at the salon on the way home from the cemetery!

    I can't wait to see yours.

    Oh and I'm sure it's probably too late, but red is the new blond!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh!!! Shorter WITH Highlights!! That would be a fun change! Of course, I am a mom of a hair stylist AND have even had purple extensions! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think Stephen is awesome !!!!! I like all the thought he put into his response....maybe he can make a house call ????

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah! Why doesn't Stephen live in Minneapolis?? Why of why?

    That is so interesting that your husband likes shorter hair! Mine has a heart attack every time I mention going to get my hair cut. And then I have two or more inches cut off and he DOESN'T EVEN NOTICE. So, there you go! Men . . .

    All the photos of you make me envious because your hair has such a nice fall to it. Shorter or longer, it's good hair.

    ReplyDelete
  22. When you finish with Stephen please send him up here!!! I like the shorter as well and highlights would be so much fun!! You really are beautiful the way you are, by the way...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can't wait to see the after pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I had to come back and see what Stephen said. Are we lined up for an appointment now? WOW! Great advice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...