Wednesday, May 14, 2014
Thorns
I want to know my truest self as a kind, considerate, compassionate individual. If you read my drivel often enough, you know I spend a good deal of my free time helping shelter dogs find homes and contributing to my community in various ways. Leave a place better than you found it - I love that simple line. It feels good to do so, it nourishes my soul... sounding as corny as I can get here today.
But sometimes.. I get it all wrong. Thorns on the rose, you know.
Again... if you read my drivel often enough here... you also know I speak my mind quite openly and without apology. I am opinionated and I am stubborn and I am stuffed full with emotion...... always have been, forever it shall be. This is a good thing most often... for that fire helps me get the good things done. And then there are times.. like yesterday.
I started out with good intentions. I knew what I was walking into.. but as I drove to yesterdays destination I told myself I was not going to let emotion dictate my behavior. A certain elder relative and I have had a difficult relationship through the years. We are oil and water. The stubbornness we share. Because of the thorny issues between us, it is hard for me in his waning years to find compassion and do what I know is right....that is... Find compassion to do what he needs done and leave the emotion out of it. Sometimes I succeed, and sometimes I fail miserably. Like yesterday.
For many years this person has chosen to live haphazardly and has, for reasons still unknown to me, chosen to live a life with "Poor Me" underscores. He lived according to his own set of rules and did what he wanted most often enough without much regard for others. He followed his passions , was blessed with good health until he ruined it, but did not nourish friendships or family relationships. So in the end, there isn't much if you can no longer chase your hobbies. Where the -poor me- came from is beyond my understanding, and maybe even his.
So now... I am (as is my husband, because without his support it wouldn't be possible) the one and only lifeline, his key to still living independently. I don't know that he realizes it, but at his age and in his condition, it really doesn't matter, does it. I should have long ago realized that a leopard is a leopard is a leopard. Throwing it through a washer is not going to wash away the spots. Acceptance is what I usually think I have found. Sometimes, though, I lose it. Like yesterday.
I walked in, saw what I already knew would be there and thought I had long ago accepted, felt his attitude building as I asked questions, felt my own attitude roil and bubble and then.. burst. I should have just.... shut ....up.
Instead, I probably shamed an old man. And now I feel horribly about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
She doesn't live here anymore
Hello there! I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...
Wow, that is a tough situation. I totally understand it though. I always say it was a good thing my father dropped dead rather than needing care in later life because I think I would be in the same situation as this. I know exactly how you feel and these people push you until you snap after bottling it up.
ReplyDeleteBeing supportive doesn't mean that you have to silently accept whatever a situation throws at you. It's perfectly okay to blow your top at times ... as long as you keep your eye on the big picture. Take a deep breath, let it out slowly, and feel good about the good things that you have done for this person. One slip, or multiple slips, are to be expected.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you had such a tough day. Learning to be tolerant and accepting 100% of the time is likely not possible in a relationship like that. If you can step back without emotion and try to see him as a person who is here, in this life, to learn his own lessons, maybe it will make it easier. His journey is not yours, they are just connected. Go walk on the beach, it will help you feel better.
ReplyDeleteI understand that, Karen. Sometimes even with best intentions we say or do more than we should. I am sorry that you were pushed beyond your limits...but then.... you are only human and reacted as such.
ReplyDeleteThe only thing you can do is move forward and forgive YOURSELF FIRST and then forgive HIM for being who he is-even though that came by his own choices. Maybe think of him as an obstinate child? Sometimes that helps. xo Diana
Bad situation. And I'm sorry you feel badly about how it happened. I was once told that "teamwork in a relationship doesn't mean one person shits while the other shovels". Forgive me for the vulgarity, but I think you'll find the humor and meaning in that. I admire you for pushing to do what you feel is the right thing.
ReplyDeleteDon't beat yourself up. When you hurt, it causes those who love you so much to hurt also.
ReplyDeleteYou are not responsible for his actions, nor do you have to accept them. Chances are you feel worse than he does seeing as how he obviously marches to the beat of his own drummer.
I do know this; whatever the circumstances through the years, you turned out to be a caring, loving person with a heart for all humans and animals alike. I kind of like you. :)
xoxo
Such supportive comments and so true, but Stephen's comment hit the nail right on the head !!! It takes TWO being tolerant and willing to move forward--you can't do it all by yourself. And to Stephen--your comment wasn't vulgarity, it was honesty.
ReplyDeleteLinda----Tn
always remember….YOU are doing the BEST you can do. whatever the circumstances….YOU are doing YOUR best!!!!!
ReplyDeletexoxo
Those are thorns we all have. Don't be so hard on yourself. SOunds like you're doing the best you can in a hard situation.
ReplyDeleteNo need to be hard on yourself, such is the nature of the beast. It is in our worst moments that we learn how to be at our best, and yes we have to get it wrong before we can get it right. As for tough situations, I like to say the Serenity Prayer... God Grant me to accept the things I can not change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
ReplyDeleteFrom the "drivel" I've read, you are doing just fine Karen. Be easier on yourself.
~Cindy
I don't know the specific situation, but it probably doesn't matter. Whenever I do something that I later regret, all I can do is apologize and ask forgiveness. Perhaps the other person will never change, perhaps they don't even deserve my apology, but it's me that I'm working on.
ReplyDeleteKaren - there's not too much I can add that hasn't been eloquently said by all the others.
ReplyDeleteYou can't change him and you can't beat yourself up for feeling badly about the situation.
You are one of the most giving, caring and loving people and all you have to do to remind yourself of this is to look at your children... don't let this family member make you question your compassion.
When we think we've hurt someone else we get all guilt ridden and dwell on what we think we did wrong... it's not a good trait to have but many of us do.
While you're dealing with the repercussions of what happened... is the thorn even giving them a second thought !
Snuggle in with the love of your beautiful family and try and let the episode of the day go.
xo
Tell him you are sorry.... And start again! Arlene
ReplyDeleteThorns grown on the most beautiful flowers. One cannot exist without the other..
ReplyDeleteAccept that shit happens, say your sorry next time, maybe not for your expressed sentiment, but for your delivery perhaps, and just do what you can do..
There are people in far worse conditions that wear angel wings, being alone and old doesn't mean you get to be mean and an ass. He's alone for good reason. <3
A wise friend always reminds me, people will show you who they are, believe them. It is still hard to deal with those toxic souls we call family sometimes.
ReplyDeleteI'm in agreement with many of your commenters. Don't be hard on yourself.
ReplyDeleteIt's true that people don't change, but that doesn't mean they don't need to hear how you feel about something; especially if that something is impacting why you are there helping in the first place. I'm projecting and imagining, but you know what I mean.
I'm a lot like you I think. Opinionated and unafraid to say my truth. Some people do have a problem with that, but for the most part - it makes me happy!
I love the team metaphor I read upstream!
It does take two...and always with baby steps, Karen...:)JP
ReplyDeleteYou are human and full of passion in whatever you do. I don't know you personally and only found your blog a short time ago, but your passion shows. Give yourself a break. I don't like seeing you being too hard on yourself. Forgive yourself and maybe you can start with that.
ReplyDeleteMelanie M
Karen, ask his forgiveness, ask God's forgiveness and then forgive yourself. You'll never live in peace until you do those three things so you can move on with your life.
ReplyDelete