Wednesday, June 11, 2014
The reasons
Recently another blogger discussed blogging, it's pros and cons and all the things she found out about it while trying to make the decision to become a dot.com. I was surprised by some of her findings and did some googling of my own and .. behold!.. all the articles about how blogging is dead or dying. I don't know that I agree with it but I suppose it has something to do with why you blog in the first place.
My reason for blogging is personal - I use it as a journal of sorts. It's an outlet for my photography, a way to record special moments I don't want to forget, and it's a way to share things with anyone who wants to sit for a minute or two and read my little ponderings in this space I call This Old House 2. Someday when I'm gone, my kids and grand kids and great grand kids might enjoy browsing through these posts. - Or not!- but at least they have the option. Oh, if this were only possible years ago, I would love to browse my grandmother Elsie's "blog". Although she was so careful with her thoughts I don't think she'd be a blogger.
Another blogger I came to know who has become a huge success and has thousands of followers asked me once If I'd like her to help me boost my readership so that I'd have more followers. While I appreciate the generous offer, it's not about the number of followers I have on the sidebar. Another felt she needed to suggest I do more give aways, because that would -bring me more followers-, especially if I insist they "follow" me to enter to win. Again, the advice appreciated, but I'm not in it to tally numbers. * I just decided to remove that particular feature.
I'm in it to share with my family. I'm in it to share with any of you who care to stop by here what I saw that was cool today. What I cooked and enjoyed today. What really pissed me off today. What inspired me, what ired me, what made me think.. let me spread this out in the world and hope that it will bring more good vibes to the universe.
Two more things I learned while doing a little research about blogging. Photos are important. Well, dang.. I got that right. I take lots of photos... it's safe to say I'm addicted to taking photos. I see a photo opportunity everywhere! Even in a blade of grass. I don't mark each of my photos before I put them on the blog or facebook, because that particular habit annoys me. When I see a beautiful photo that has a watermark or blog name on it, I can't help but feel it's been violated somewhat. I get it if you're a photographer and that's where your grocery money comes from. But most of us don't make money off our images. And now there is the pinterest red "button" that appears on some images to make it easier for you to pin that image on your Pinterest board. But.. while viewing it, you've got that big red P button right smack in the middle of your image. Call me a purist here (because it doesn't fit anywhere else in my life...LOL)... but it's a practice you won't see here.
*** After reading TexWis girl's comment below, I realized this post might sound -snarky- and I want to clarify before you read further. I don't want to imply that having or wanting followers is wrong. It's a great tool if it's something that appeals to you. I also know that there are several reasons why some people watermark their images... one of them being theft. I understand the desire to protect your images especially if you make money off them. Many of my images have been used by others, and it doesn't bother me. I take it as a form of flattery. But again, I don't make my living by those images and I might feel differently if I did. I still stand by my belief that it does take away from the beautiful image originally created and I am willing to risk someone else using my image without my permission.
The second important tip?.... Keep it simple, Stupid. Hmmmm.... So I pulled out the backgrounds I often employ here, and made it simpler to look at. I'd like to know what appeals to you. Simple? as in what I have here now?
One more thing about blogging - I want to thank you... for checking in now and then and sharing whatever we're sharing here in this space. Some of you have become very dear friends. This little community we create in these spaces is not dead, nor is it dying. It's what we make of it, aren't most things? ......
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
She doesn't live here anymore
Hello there! I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...
I like your blog just as it is. I especially appreciate the spontaneity. It is fresh and inspired. I love your photos of your home and property. Love your animals and treasure your opinions. Brava!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI don't I need to tell you how I feel about you and your blog. I stopped the "following" thing on mine for a simple reason; I don't care if there's a lot or a few. Neither do I blog every day like I did in the past.
ReplyDeleteThis kind of reminds me of Sonny & Cher "I got you babe" meaning of course I ain't going no where. :)
When I retired in 2012, I decided I'd "grow" my blog.. I put some ads on there... and tried to fancy it up. Pretty soon, I realized the ads were a pain in the neck... and I like a plain white background just as you do... so much easier to see. I increased the size of my font.
ReplyDeleteI DID leave my follow button, because I hate getting to a blog where there is no way to add it to your blogger list, so that you have to bookmark it and remember to go back and find it again (Not gonna happen). I also realized I blogged for the same reasons as you.. sharing pictures of what I'm doing... and keeping a journal. Thank God I did, because we moved from our "forever home" to our "new forever home" and I have a record of all the little things from our old place to remember it by. I also am not doing a daily post anymore.. or maybe I do a bunch in a row and skip a few days. I guess I'm never going to be Ree Drummond. :-)
i do like to see followers add up, but i also know that following doesn't mean reading - or commenting. :) i do a giveaway every other month because i want to. and it keeps me drawing because otherwise i wouldn't push myself to do so. i watermark my photos because i had a blogger in brazil steal a bunch of them and publish them as her own (another blogger recognized my dogs and told me about them posted on her site). so i guess i do several things 'wrong' but they work for me. and that's what blogging should be - an individual thing. and if you're lucky to resonate with like-minded folks who become friends and neighbors, then that's successful. :)
ReplyDeletei assume you're talking about me :)
ReplyDeleteand i'm so glad you read what i wrote and did some of your own "searching."
i also eliminated the followers from my new blog, as i felt that has never been the reason either for my blogging.
simple is the way to go….simple simple simple….and i know you found that out when searching blogging which is why i included it, too…
please feel free to link me to your post when you're talking about something i wrote. i kind of love it when bloggers do that…as i personally always want to know who it is they are reading and talking about…..xoxo
This is your blog, and you can run it and say whatever you want without feeling like you have to apologize that your thoughts may seem snarky...which they don't, at least not to me! Maybe that's the beauty of aging, we can each choose to live our lives, and run our blogs the way we want, and not worry if someone else does it differently. :) Great, heartfelt post as always!
ReplyDeletexo Kat
The clean layout looks nice, but I always enjoyed your backgrounds. I have been on somewhat of a blogging break for a while and it's been nice. I still love sharing my photos but sometimes just don't feel like putting down the words. We all have our own reasons for blogging. It seems that the more followers one has, the more responsibility. I am definitely not looking for more of that, at this point in life.
ReplyDeleteI blog for reasons much the same as you. It is a journal for me and after I am long gone! It also allows me to share my family/farm happenings with my parents and extended family, who live far away. Also, I have a bit of a photography habit.....lol
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful post and in keeping with your style and philosophy. Your style is what keeps me coming back - thank you. As to the reason you blog, I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed reading my grandmother's journals. She kept them from age 50 to her death at 92. Your posterity will love and treasure this gift you're leaving. And finally, I don't follow your blog because I'm awaiting a give-away. Having said that, please know how much I enjoyed the gifts you sent to me. I think of you warmly every time I use my dish towels with the little owls. From your friend in northern Utah.
ReplyDeleteI never really knew that we shared such a common purpose for blogging. A journal. Something for the grandkids. You are much more of a go~getter though, you hit the hot topics undeterred and that keep your blog fresh.
ReplyDeleteComments. My post yesterday talked about lifting that block that keeps people from commenting. Weird that I had that. One anonymous girl (so far) has said that it was good ...I love comments and I love followers. The more the merrier. I don't want to be an orchestra playing to an empty hall. But I won't solicit followers and I stopped doing giveaways. I don't have money to give away.
I think you and I are on the same page with this. So many opinions and so many ways to manage your blog. Maybe that's the beauty of it, maybe the downfall. But love ya for "putting it out there" again!!
XO,
Jane
Hi there!
ReplyDeleteI came here via our friend Sally.
I agree with ALL your thoughts on blogging. I left blogging for awhile, but I'm back and enjoying it very much.
Hugs,
Kat
You blog for most of the same reasons I do, Karen. A family "journal" of sorts and a way for me to share the joy I find in life with others.
ReplyDeleteI do watermark my photos because I was told early on I should do that -so I have continued. It has never been about the numbers to me- it is about the connections...and I am blessed to know so many followers on a deeper , personal level-that extends beyond a blog comment.
It may be dying but this old broad is still alive and kicking---xo Diana
Man...you must really hate my blog now Karen. But, we all have to do what we have to do! I have a little Pin button in the upper left corner that only shows when you click on the photo. I am an addict when it comes to Pinterest...my daughter and I both totally love it!! Everybody has to do their own thing. I really do not believe that blogging is going away. I will be heartbroken if all of a sudden my blog disappears because I have put my heart and soul in to it for the past seven years!! Many, MANY people are telling me that I MUST get my own domain and go with WordPress. I have not yet done that. I have thought about it...but some people get WAY too carried away with the whole idea. I have a sneaking suspicion that we will remain friends regardless...after all, I think we go WAY BACK!! I am still mad at my husband that he didn't let me take a side trip to visit you when we were in East Lyme!!
ReplyDeleteBravo!! To blog because you want to, not to make money or become famous is wonderfully refreshing. I love reading your blog for that very reason. Your opinions are your own and honest. I like that you are true to yourself and aren't politically correct, or overly polite. YOU ARE YOU!! And that is what we love about you. Keep up the good work! Where else can I see the beach often?? Your pictures are wonderful!
ReplyDeleteLisa in Fort Worth
Hi Karen,
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to add my one cent worth! I love your blog. It's so nice to know there is someone out there that feels the same way I do about a lot of things. It is a nice community I believe. And living in the country, it's nice to feel connected. When we can't get out due to weather ect. To see what other women are thinking and feeling! I am so tech challenged that I write my blog from my I phone. So keep it simple stupid is right up my alley!!! Haha!
Thank you
Sharon
Karen, about the only blogging "rules" I follow are "Keep it nice". If others want to follow a bunch of rules, fine by me but don't try to impose them on me; to each their own. I started blogging in the dark ages of 2005; an acquaintance was blogging and she said it was fun. Along the way, I blogged that I was thinking of stopping and a reader sent me a kind note imploring me to continue, so I have. I'm grateful to her for helping me make that decision; when Dave was alive, he loved reading my blog and took an enormous amount of pleasure in how our days/farm were being documented. Since his death, it's been an enormous source of comfort to me. As you know, I've often written Dave "blog letters" where I poured out my grief stricken heart and worked through the emotional pain and turmoil. I've had my blog made into soft cover books and they too have been a source of comfort. I also blog to sharpen my photography and writing skills and watermark my photos because they are MINE. Like others, I've had them stolen and watermarking them makes it a tad more difficult for the thief. I'm proud of my work, why wouldn't I want to take credit for it?
ReplyDeleteFinally, I've met a lot of lovely people in "blog land" and have visited some of them in person. I've stayed with Mags and her family in Ireland, Timi and her family traveled by train from their village in Hungary to the city of Budapest and we spent two lovely days together; Jane and Lance opened their home and we shared a delicious luncheon in Budapest.
Blogging has brought a huge world to a more manageable level and has given me untold joys. Christian sisters, whom I'll never met this side of the veil, pray for me and I for them. When Dave suddenly died, people around the world tucked me into prayer and those prayers, heard by a sovereign God, sustained me.
It's like anything else in life. It can be used for good or evil; I choose good and my life has expanded in ways I could never have dreamt. Is blogging dead or dying? Perhaps but for those with eyes to read and hearts to share blogging will never die.
I've really pulled back from blogging lately but have always used it as a form of journaling and to share my photos (some of which I watermark). I guess I watermark the ones I think are good, being afraid that someone will steal them.
ReplyDeleteIn the past, blogging was a means of escape for me. I've made so many nice friends through my blog. But lately, I'm really scaling back. (not on the friends!! on the writing of the posts!)
I've read this a couple of times and wanted to make a comment worthy...but I think I'll just say, I appreciate what you've written. I also appreciate the comments before mine. We put ourselves 'out there' when we blog but it's really no different than making friends in real life. We find a few people we like and want to spend time with and we value those friendships. We need to keep it real! Sweet hugs, Diane
ReplyDelete