Tuesday, August 26, 2014

MV scalloped potatoes and Macs Oreo Truffles


  Last year when we were on the Vineyard and had dinner at our favorite waterfront restaurant,  the Atlantic  - they served the most delectable scalloped potatoes.  I asked if the Chef would mind giving me the secret to the divine combination of cheeses in his recipe.  The waitress returned to our table and said just this.... Gruyere, smoked Gouda and heavy cream.

Aha!... so with just that information when I returned home I tried it for myself.  WOW is this a delicious scalloped potato recipe.. goes with so many meals.  We ordered it again this year and it was still just as good.


MV Atlantic Au Gratin Potatoes


  So here's what I do... it's not a precise recipe, you'll have to wing it some, but if you've made scalloped potatoes before, you'll do just fine.

  Slice your peeled  potatoes (six to eight)  really thin (I use yukon gold or Idaho baking potatoes) Slice a big sweet yellow onion really thin too.  Butter the bottom of a baking dish and preheat oven to 375. 

In a saucepan heat and stir the following ingredients until cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth:  fresh grated Gruyere cheese,   grated Smoked Gouda cheese, approx.  2 cups of heavy cream, about a 2 cups of chicken broth.. a little butter.   Salt and pepper to taste.  I use lots of cheese to make the sauce rich and creamy.

 Put first layer of potatoes slices in bottom of baking dish.. then add a layer of sliced onion.. pour about 1/3 of the cheese sauce over that layer.  Then placed next layers of potatoes and onion.. pour 1/3 of cheese sauce over that.  Then place last layer of potatoes  and pour remaining cheese sauce over the top.  Place in oven and bake until golden brown on top and potatoes are soft throughout.  (insert fork to test).  Approximately 50 minutes.  But keep an eye on it, temps and oven performance vary.

Now for the oreo truffles... my son's girlfriend, who is just a delight and I'm going to embarrass her right here by saying that, makes these awesome Oreo Truffles... they are super easy to make and super delicious too.   Recipe HERE.




11 comments:

  1. Is that YOUR kitchen she's making those in? Must be a serious relationship, if you are letting her in YOUR kitchen! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some serious scalloped potatoes! Wonderful that you found the cheese combination. They sound fantastic. And those Oreo truffles? Please keep me away from them. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaah! Those potatoes. I just drooled on my keyboard a little.

    I must make these. omg . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy oh boy! How delicious they both look. Would you believe, I've never had truffle. I'm going to check out the recipe for that also.

    I love that young Mike's girl is a happy addition!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't made potatoes like that in a long time...but I bet the cheese really does give it the flavor! Thanks for sharing! Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just put on three lbs reading your post! Those potatoes and the truffles both sound amazing!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty and attractive , and lovely photos to show how it is made. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Home Decor Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't mind me; I had to come back and look at the potato's! Of course I just got back from the grocery and forgot the onion!!

    Well, it's just me here right now, and I'd probably eat way too much. But, some day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have to spend an entire season to sample all of it. Did I miss steamed lobster? add that and I'll put an addition on the restaurant for you and all our friends. The scalloped potatoes look wonderful. My recipe calls for thin sliced onions layered with the potatoes in a béchamel sauce - the cheeses are a great twist on a favorite can't wait to try them combined!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...