Not sure, but friskylemon.com has one winner of a paleo Shepherds pie recipe. I made it last week and it was a big hit. Definitely a new favorite at This Old House 2. I left out the rosemary as the husband has an aversion to it. I added extra garlic.. and used shredded carrots. I also used a can of organic peas instead of thawed frozen... I sprinkled it on top of the meat mixture once that was laid in the pan. Then covered with the sweet potato mash to bake. Delicious and good for you! - Perfect for these chilly winter days.
Ingredients
- 2 lbs ground beef (preferably grass-fed)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 container (~8oz) of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bag of frozen peas, thawed
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 4 to 6 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp butter plus more for the pan
- sea salt and pepper
- butter
Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- In a large skillet, brown the meat with the cloves of garlic in butter.
- Once the meat is browned, remove it from the pan, and cook the onions, carrots and mushrooms until carrots are soft and onions are translucent.
- Add the meat back to the pan, add the tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, thyme and salt.
- Cook until all of the excess liquid has cooked off.
- Stir in the peas.
- Pour the meat mixture into a large baking dish-- 9X13" works well.
- Bake your sweet potatoes: place the sweet potatoes on a foiled lined baking sheet and bake until soft-- about 40 minutes depending on the size of your sweet potatoes. (You could also do this step while you are cooking the meat on the stove top).
- Allow the potatoes to cool for a few minutes, then peel and place into a medium-sized bowl with coconut milk, butter, sea salt and pepper.
- Mash the sweet potatoes into a paste, and spread on top of your meat mixture.
- Bake the shepherd's pie for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sides are bubbling and the center is hot.
Enjoy!

Well it looks awesome!
ReplyDeleteLooks delicious!
ReplyDeleteas a meat-and-potatoes raised girl, i've always liked shepherd's pie dishes. :) your header is mighty blustery!
ReplyDeleteOoooh sounds good! But I don't believe 4 cloves is enough garlic for all that meat?! Did you add more? I started doing paleoesque cooking this past fall and it's been a good fit for me. Then I screwed it all up and burned through like 20 pounds of flour during the holidays! But since letting go of regret is one of my resolutions, I guess I can forgive my cheesecake, cream puffs, bread, stuffing, etc. :)
ReplyDeleteI wonder if I could entice the boys to try it? To me it sounds delish! We may have to take a vote! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete