Monday, October 19, 2015

What remains


     So, the deconstructing of my fathers life continues.  We have managed to empty out his home completely, except for the cat, who needs a home as well.  First day on the market, it has sold, cash deal to close at the end of this month.  His car is also sold... both went very cheap, but at fair market value, hence the quick sales. It will be a blessing for him as the money will go to his care now.
    The cat... Felix.. the one thing he sheds a tear for and asks about repeatedly,  ( not the other daughter he never hears from or sees)... will need a new home also.  I haven't worked that out yet.  I have ten days to do so, and then the new owner takes over.  Four dogs here and two of them would rip him apart. So that's not an option.  He's never seen horses and he's used to a warm inside-the-house bed at night. I don't think the barn is an option either.
     As for Dad... he has a very nice room with a pleasant view, right now all to himself. There are other men who live at the facility who are very nice, very capable, kindly even.  They, like him, still have all their marbles.  Good company if he chooses to reach out. We have introduced them.   I've set up a bird feeder outside his window and there is a candy bowl I keep filled for the caregivers who come and go. He now has his big recliner we bought him last year that lifts him out with a remote control. The chair seen below in the picture wasn't going to be comfortable enough for someone who lives in his chair watching the tube.   He has a new flatscreen TV and is being waited on and the food is very good.  Indeed, despite his best/worst efforts.. he is a lucky man.
    There is still a lot of paperwork to wade through, meetings, things to set up, and time will tell if he's truly settled and accepting.  My resentment at having to be the sole responsible party for his care waxes and wanes.  I'm still working at being kind. Most of the time I get it right, but not 100 percent of the time.   He's still working at realizing all that is being done on his behalf.  We weren't close.  I go through the motions at the nursing home as the caring daughter, the only family member who visits, but it feels like a lie.   And then it doesn't.  Sometimes I feel good about the effort I'm making even when it's a pain in the ass.   Sometimes it feels good to see him comfortable and apparently pleased with his surroundings. Sometimes I find the nearest ear and vent the anger I obviously still possess about many things.  That's often my mother, who divorced him many many years ago.   Sometimes he pisses me off  and I walk out - like so many times before.  Saturday after bringing him more of what would make him comfortable, I was yelled at for not returning his wrist watch, which he had given me just 24 hours earlier to have the battery replaced. He was so angry, he shook.    The reason it stings is he's not lost his marbles at all... he is not in pain.  Why the great anger over something so trivial when I am obviously giving him 150 percent.

     I came home upset, but my husband helped me see that deal more clearly.  He said -  "Karen... look at his life now.  Even though he's comfortable and it's a pleasant environment, it's a huge change all the way around. It has to be frustrating for him to have so little control".      

Truth, this.

   And yet it still stings me.  So,  at the age of 50, I still have some growing up to do.   A thin skin I still possess.





16 comments:

  1. Sending you patience and strength as you walk this path. It's a journey few who haven't been through it understand, but in the end just be sure you are taking care of yourself while taking care of him!...let's just say that's a lesson learned on my end. ;)

    xo Kat

    P.S. I thought you meant your dogs would tear apart your father, not the cat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing a good thing, Karen. Remember that you are kind, even if your father fails to recognize it. (What a blessing it is that the house and car sold quickly ... less to stress about.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One day he will be gone and his anger along with him. And you can hopefully feel at peace about being a good person who did the best she could for a difficult father. You won't have any questioning of your own self as to what more you could have/should have done. Don't ever hesitate to calmly ask him, "Why are you yelling at me?" or "Why are you taking your frustrations out on me?" Maybe it will stop him, maybe not. But it may relieve some of your frustration in that moment. Wishing you well....

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear you are going through this. Sending prayers and patience your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so complicated, isn't it. Family. Sigh...

    I can relate to your complicated relationship with your dad. I hope you can find some peace throughout this time. You are a good person to look after him. I'm not sure I would do the same.

    Regardless you are a good person. Don't forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh girl!! You have my sympathy & empathy!! I have been dealing with hospitals, rehab, nursing homes, assisted living for my Mom & Step-Dad the last 3 years. Mom passed then Step-Dad had complications after hip replacement. He didn't raise me & has a son, but guess who is in charge? I told Mom I would. Sometimes I don't mind, sometimes I do.....it is a lot lot of work! Very stressful. Had to make decisions for him I shouldn't have to make, but someone had to!! So try to feel good about what you are doing, ignore his negativity & live your life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Denise said it beautifully and I ditto what she said.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will never know this struggle, alas, but I can see where the frustration is...
    I feel for you honey. None of it is easy.
    If ever you need an ear, my door is always open.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen you are an angel. I can relate to how very difficult this must be for you - I also had a poor relationship with my father. He died suddenly so I didn't have to take this caretaker journey with him. But I am helping my Mom now and even though we have a wonderful relationship it can still be trying. You are being kind to a soul who needs it and that is a very generous gift you are giving of yourself. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having never really walked in your shoes, Karen, there is actually one thing I "get". Being on the other side of your dad's anger. When you said "the table shook" - Oh, Lord, how many times I witnessed that with my mother. While on one hand, it was embarrassing especially in public, on the other hand felt sorry for her in that she had so much anger inside if someone didn't do or say exactly what she wanted to hear. That was one reason we didn't get along, her wrath was a frightening thing.

    Thinking of you daily. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry, I meant to say he shook - while it was the take my mother would hold on and shake. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand completely, Karen. I have walked your walk with a family member and even after that person passed- almost 30 years-the sting will still rise, if I let it. I hold it in my mind for just a moment when it rears its ugly head but I will not be held captive by it. I quickly let the thought flit away and move on.

    This, too, shall pass and you will look back and be glad that you did what you could, while you could, as you could. That is what we are called to do with our parents--and you are doing it well.

    Blessings to you, Karen, and, if you can muster up the mettle to do it-pray for your dad. He has also lost out on a lot through his own actions. There will not be tears at his funeral from daughters that loved him well and you will feel like a burden has been lifted from you when he is gone...and then you will feel some guilt for feeling that way. I know that path all too well.

    I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and I know that you will courageously do whatever you have to do-because that is who you are. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having gone through this somewhat recently with my Dad...I can relate. More than I care to admit. It is SO frustrating and even maddening. But, you ARE doing the right thing, Karen. You will be able to sleep at night knowing you did all you could. It is very sad that so many end up like that...just mad at the world. The worst part is that they take it out on their loved ones. He probably has no idea just how much it upsets you. You did the right thing by walking out. Glad to hear that the house and car are sold. That is at least two big things you don't have to worry about. My dad passed in 2012. His house still sits there...nothing has been done. You are in my thoughts and prayers, Karen. If I can offer any advice...just let me know. I am always available to chat and I would be more than happy to help if I can.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen... you do the best you can and it seems like you've done a wonderful job getting your father set up, taking care of his affairs and doing what needs to be done.
    Relationships that are wrought with issues sometimes never even out.
    Go with the flow of your emotions and feelings.
    Look at all you've accomplished and like the above commentor said.. you can sleep at night knowing you've done all that you can do.
    Focus on your wonderful family and the love and strength they give you.
    Hugs
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. You wouldn't believe how much I get what you are saying here sweet girl. Our dads should have been more and when we're with them they are less. It does hurt.

    xxoo and we all see what it is and we are all proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are a good person and your being there for your Dad despite the past and some of the stinging now, reflects that good. You will not regret it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...