Thursday, March 10, 2016

Finding Our Way

  My father has been living at a senior care/rehabilitation center for five months now.  It's not the ending to his story that he would have chosen, but due to the choices he has made over the course of his life, he landed where he was steering his ship.
      I give him credit in accepting this new life he didn't want with a certain level of resolve, although for a while there was a resentment toward me for having been the one who actually executed all the transactions it takes to get him to that place.  He  recently likened me to a hurricane coming in and wiping out all that he possessed.  I understand that sentiment. He had been in poor health for many years due to his own neglect.. and finally that last heart attack rendered him too weak to live alone.   In just a few weeks time with the consult of many a health care provider,  it was determined without someone to live with him, he shouldn't be alone any longer.      
      Now.. at first, when he told me his "hurricane"  feelings, the proverbial hair immediately went up on the back of my neck, a pattern we have followed our entire relationship.  I took a deep breath, ready to defend myself once again.... and it came to me in that instant that he had every right to feel that way, it was his truth.  So in five seconds I changed the  direction of the wind in my sail and gently explained that it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life, to dismantle HIS life and rearrange it in a way I knew he would not choose.  I would never have chosen that job myself, but I was the only one available to do it.  He said he understood, and knows he is where he needs to be.   The short conversation was miraculous given our normal "routine".  A storm headed off at the pass, a blessing.
      I visit him weekly, sometimes more often, bringing him groceries for the little refrigerator we bought for his room...and his beloved Subway Sandwich as well.  I  continue to brace myself every time I  walk in... my "be kind" mantra repeated over and over until I reach his room.    He is still who he is... and I am still me.  He will tell me what I should have brought or how the sandwich should have been made, and I will either get annoyed, or laugh it off.   I will never get the love or acknowledgements that I have looked for from him my entire life, and he will never recognize all that has been done for him by more than a few people,  regardless of his self centered nature  for all those years. He was damn lucky, and still is.   The intelligent part of me says "It doesn't matter, now, Karen. Let it all go. He's just an old man who needs someone to give a shit. Period ".   The little girl in  me still wants to know "WHY"... but there is no reason, he sees no fault or lack or shortcoming, and never will.  So yes, Karen .. Let it Go.
     Yesterday I stopped in to deliver his soda and chips and Boost.  When I arrived, as usual, he wanted to talk.   He got all serious for a few minutes and said "You know, I have a lot of time to think here.   And what I am realizing is... I've had a good life.  I've done a good job in all areas, really... I got to live on a boat for ten years, a dream of mine. I did a good job of raising a family..... (hair up instantaneously, but then I took a deep breath, changed the wind in that sail again, and said to myself..  it doesn't matter now, let it go.) ..  and I have always done a good job wherever I worked."     I'll give him that, he was dedicated to whatever job he held.  He continued " As I sit here I realize it's important to feel good about what you accomplished in life, because the memories are what you have left.  I can honestly say I feel very good about the person I am."     I smiled and simply replied... I'm glad you have that peace of mind, Dad.   And you know?  I meant it.   
     As I sat there listening to him, I realized his absolute inability...  or is it  unwillingness.... to see himself for who he had truly been.  Case in point... does it ever occur to him that he has two daughters, but only one is willing to visit him and do what needs to be done in his last years?  That missing daughter is a genuine, decent person. He's  missed out big time in the relationship department.. but he doesn't feel it, doesn't see it... doesn't even ask.  Narcissism is one of the worst forms of mental illness. Why do I say that?  A narcissistic person, I believe, is so engrossed in his own being, his own needs,  happiness, his own agendas, that he or she never really sees their impact or lack thereof on the people around them in life, including their own families. They don't appreciate good relationships, recognize or nurture them.   Judging by the conclusions my father is drawing as he sits in an elder care facility, pondering his life choices, there is no question of forgiving himself or regrets or wanting to right a few wrongs or even appreciating all that is STILL being done for him.  No... he's content and happy with the choices he made and the fact that he has a staff tending to his every need is actually a bonus.    That  picture he has painted for himself is another gift he has given himself...and.. to some extent I am glad for him.
     The little girl wanted to ask him how he could ignore the obvious, but the woman I am becoming.. yes still becoming at the age of 51... is finally able to change the direction of the wind in her sails.  Most of the time.   A gift I have given to me.





   


22 comments:

  1. Beautifully put, Karen. It is what it is, and it's good.
    Today is what we have. mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often think back to "The Seat of the Soul" by Gary Zukav. If we are able to step away from our human emotions and remember that we are individual souls, here for a reason, we can realize that his life is about something so much bigger than anyone's feelings about him. It's hard to do and not everyone believes that, but as I get older it makes more sense to me. And good for you, getting through those interactions without engaging with anger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "LET GO"

    nobody ever told me, us, that those two words would ever be, could ever be, the hardest
    two words in the english dictionary.

    to this day, regarding so many things, like you, i say those words over and over again…yet, the attachment
    is still there. and why? because we all have memories associated with what we are to LET GO of and eliminating memories, i have found, is impossible.

    blessing your heart!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been so difficult for you but you have handled it so maturely and with a heck of a lot of grace. Years from now you'll be able to look back on it with peace, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I relate... you've articulate this beautifully. It truly took a lot of deep breaths, and biting my tongue around my mom when she'd say the same sorts of things. And if I did bother to mention the inaccuracy sometimes of her memory of some event, she'd go right into denial. She never took responsibility. Somehow, I don't think about it very often now. I still miss her as she was more vulnerable in the end and more of the mom I always longed for...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very proud of you, Karen. You are one smart lady and a good person too. I always remember that our blessings are from God...not man. And I know we both realize how very blessed we are. lots and lots of hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! It is very hard to have a narcacistic parent. I have found it helpful to go back to talk to that little girl. The little girl being myself. At the age I am now. Healing her, nurturing her. We can give ourselves what we didn't get then. At the same time imagine yourself at 81 and think what you might tell your 51 year old self?
    Hugs, it's still hard to do the right thing.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for you. You are practicing forgiveness.
    My father was very harsh to the point of abuse.
    It was always his way. Our community loved him and he helped many people, but his own family? None of us could ever do a thing to suit him.
    As my sister and I stood by his bed at the hospice house, my sister whispered, "Just say it! For once in your life, just say you love us."
    Never happened and I never really forgave him until after he died.
    I have found, it is much easier to forgive, when I didn't have to face the person every day. The little girl inside me still mourns for the life I could have had, if my Daddy had shown any pride in me. I'm 76 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could have written this---not so eloquently, but it is spot on as far as my relationship with my father. I thought before the end that we'd forgive each other for the past, that I'd have closure before the ultimate end of things but it never happened. As much as I tried to forgive his lack of ...everything as a parent, I DID try. Yet still, in the end, he couldn't be the bigger person. It wasn't a choice for him as much as it was just the way he was wired. The favoritism he had for my sisters above me was simply too confusing and hurtful for me as a child and bewildering as an adult. I only wish he would have explained or expressed remorse. Nope. He's gone now and I don't know if I'm relieved or full of remorse. But thank you, Karen. I really do hope you reach a point of peace within, from within if anything.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Dad has been gone for 19 years and I still haven't truly "let it go". The "old" me, knows he probably did the best he could, but I had always hoped for so much more. I admire your courage and determination to change the way you react to him. I was never able to do that and I have a lot of regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are such a good writer, very adept at putting feelings into words. I love your blog but I never comment. Today I'm driven to do so because we can all relate to emotionally bankrupt people. You are special Karen, don't doubt for a moment that you make us think, smile....feel. Take some solace in knowing that you are a great parent to your kids and they will never feel what you are experiencing from you or your sweet hubby. That in and of itself is such a contribution to making the world and the people in it a better place. From someone with a mother that mirrors your fathers behavior, I applaud you and cherish knowing I'm not alone. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Anonymous... you just made me cry. But it's a cry that relieves, and I thank you so much for sharing your own story. Writing in this way is not easy, as it puts me out there, clear to see by all. I have found it therapeutic though, and when people share themselves as well in the comments, well it makes us all feel less alone in the journey. Thank you. Thank you all for your thoughtful comments - we lift each other here, you know? It's why I still keep this blog, long after it served it's original purpose.

    Thank you.



    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen - beautiful post. You are a wise and caring woman and to have learned how to let it go and let him believe how he sees that he lived his life is without a doubt a wise thing.
    Some see life as they think it was, not as it actually was. Maybe that's a defense mechanism for them.
    I love reading your posts.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Karen, I forgive others because I want to live at peace with myself. Is it difficult? Does it sometimes take a a Very Long While? Yayuszzz but it's also worth it. My relationship with my Mother is "difficult"; not as bad as with your Dad but it's still difficult and should I be the one to do likewise, our tenuous relationship would be horribly ruined. I made my peace, long ago, with the fact she loves me but doesn't like me. It would break her heart to know I've written that, but it's true. As Heraclitus said, "it is what it is". She gives what she has to give, probably the best the has to give due to her being abused as a child.
    It's, finally, all right; the knowing doesn't hinder my enjoyment, joy and happiness. I do the best I can, as a Christian daughter, and move forward. Thank God, my spiritual Father, gives me unconditional love, acceptance and cares for me more deeply than all humans put together. My peace was found in Him and in Him, I've found enough.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I felt like I was right there with you Karen. My heart goes out to you. You did really, REALLY well. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That was a beautiful piece of writing. And the relationship with my own father is the same. And I'm so glad he doesn't live anywhere near me so I don't have to deal with him in the mature, thoughtful, respectful, loving way you are dealing with your father.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful, and amazing growth on your part. Just in the last few months from your first post about putting your Father into the home to now. Your Growth Game is strong. Keep at it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How you behave speaks to what kind of soul you are. We can't ever understand selfish behaviors of others because we can't imagime behaving that way ourselves. But be sure of this: you children are watching, and what a wonderful parent you are. You are showing them how compassion, unconditional love & kindness works in every visit. You are much loved my dear. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...