Stella has several support beams that hold the old girl up. They were whimpy at best, and the Mr. had a brilliant idea.....
I love bringing some of the outside in when decorating/rebuilding. In our farmhouse, that meant the family room/mancave fireplace constructed of stones found in our fields and woods. Two cedars from those same woods have been stripped of their shaggy bark and will be used as support beams extending floor to ceiling and as ceiling beams. Despite our extensive resurrection efforts, we want Stella to retain some of her rustic cabin charm. This addition will add to the cottage life vibe.
Where the old range and refridge once stood, we've ripped out the wall that made it all feel a bit claustrophobic and yesterday two cabinets were delivered. Along that newly built half wall will be the range, a work space, and a raised eating bar with room for two bar stools. The stone guy met with the Mr. yesterday to discuss what he might have in the warehouse to fit that space. We're looking for economy left over scraps to keep the cost down. We were thinking of carrara marble, it's Italian stuff that normally we can put in a house for a relatively low cost. Apparently we've pissed the Italians off somehow and they've tripled the marble cost. SO, he's going to scrounge around and see what he can come up with in his warehouse.
The stone guy said - why don't you just get rid of that old sink -
Are ya kidding??? Some people just don't see the beauty in old things. For me, that sink is Stella's Tiara. When we first visited Stella with a hope of making a good impression with her previous owner, that was the first thing besides the water view I noticed and fell in love with - her sink!
Last for today, 'cause I gotta be me...
Several of my friends are going to Washington to participate in the March. I've made a donation and my name is on several posters but I won't attend, mostly because of my fear of attending large charged crowds with a big hearing impairment disadvantage. I don't know that I am a fan of large masses of people in protest, seems like someone always gets hurt. However, I'm not one to shut up, either, as witnessed here on my blog. I am so glad people are standing up to say THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE, WE WILL HOLD YOU ACCOUNTABLE, WE ARE PAYING ATTENTION. At the very least, there's that.
*sigh. Onward....



Oh my god my heart sank when I saw the photo! I thought a tree had fallen through the roof in all the wind! Instead it's a wonderful bit of meaningful charm. Love this! The price of marble varies so ridiculously doesn't it?? I'm sure you'll find something fabulous. Don't rule out a blue marble or granite (or even quartz). A waterfront house is the best place for blue counters.
ReplyDeleteThis week I am very glad to live nowhere near Washington DC.
oh how I would love a chunk of blue granite in there - alas, we're at the mercy of the discount pile. lol.
DeleteI'll look here in Columbus for you. Mainly out of curiosity but you never know! I have a friend who is a builder and was really into it for her projects last year so there might be some remnants languishing around here. I'll take any excuse to look at marble and granite. Even though I only like white quartz for myself! Haha
DeleteWhat you're doing for Stella is gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteRight there with you for the march,I can't afford to go, but am there in name and emotionally.
Lee Anna
Thank you Lee Anna - let's hope it's a peaceful protest after all.
DeleteThose cedar beams will be just a wonderful addition to Stella. I don't blame you for not getting rid of the sink--I think that is Stella's best feature from the past. xo Diana
ReplyDeleteMe too! :-) PS - I've been tempted with your beautiful white pallet at home, but I'm afraid we'll get it filthy too quickly so I'm doing it sparingly.
DeleteAll the charm and character of a home. The cedar beam will provide a nostalgic feeling and warmth. The sink is a gem. As for the counter, consider making it out of concrete (budget friendly)... and the colour(s) you want and seal. Checkout this link: http://www.concrete-countertops.org
ReplyDeleteLove them! We have not installed this type of counter yet but it's become very popular.
DeleteI have concrete in our main house and it has several us well for 9 years but I will be happy to see to go when we renovation. If is both durable yet not. It has gotten very rough at my main prep area and anything acidic causes very quick discoloration.
DeleteSo far I am loving the quartz we put in our cabin
I have yet to decide if I will attend the one here in Vegas. The entries on the local social pages lead me to believe that this is much more of an angry mob than a peaceful protest. I am leery of any large crowd these days myself as I can no longer run if I needed to. I'm donating to appropriate groups and writing to every politician I can and signing every valid petition and of course speaking about it like you. SO far I 'm down 2 friends because of it, but that's alright. :D
ReplyDeleteLOL.. I'm down a few "friends" too.. but since I never attack personally and their offense is apparently that I have a differing view, well.. don't let the door hit ya.
DeleteDon't blame you for that Karen, a differing opinion? Obviously not very good friends.
DeleteI too was afraid a tree had fallen through Stella!! So glad that's not the case. My husband and I have differing view of old houses...we sold the only one we've ever owned together. When we sold, I judged those who came to look at the house by their comments on the original wood floors. If they said, "Oh these floors will have to be re-done," I crossed them off my list...they didn't "deserve" our old house ;) If they said, "Oh, these floors are gorgeous...just look at the authenticity, etc," they were approved to buy. (just kidding kinda) :)
ReplyDeleteInauguration - this is such a sad time, and I have a hard time not being depressed about it. I have no idea what's ahead of us, but I'm scared to death. In Mississippi, you can imagine how popular my opinion is. I don't care though. I'm doing my best to educate my college students and my own children on human rights and the issues without being "called to the carpet." Holding my breath.
OH, you're right in the heart of it, aren't ya. Good for you, for staying the course in whatever way is safe to do, given your profession.. keep up the good fight, keep the lines of communication, open those minds where you can - we need everyone who cares enough to do something, anything... good for you.
DeleteMy oldest daughter will LOOOOVE the AHS banner!!! I'm sending it to her now :):):)
ReplyDeleteI got a good chuckle out of it too...
DeleteFiona Apple has recorded a song/chant for the March..."We don't want your tiny hands anywhere near our underpants". It's actually quite catchy and I can't get it out of my head! :)And Stella? She is coming along nicely!
ReplyDeleteoooh, I need to google that!
DeleteThere are two people I like that voted and defend the Donald and I've been a little quiet on Facebook about it all. Just because I get too riled up. I did post facts about the unemployment rate tonight and have a little speel planned for tomorrow. Then I will continue to remind people to stop complaining on Facebook and do something. Contact representatives, sign petitions, pay attention to what's going on locally. DO SOMETHING! Don't just complain. I walk my talk and try to get others to do the same. Sure wish I lived closer to you. I'd love to help you with the dog effort, decorate Stella and garden together!
ReplyDeleteOh Stella! You're on your way. ♡
ReplyDelete