After barn chores and coop chores and a haircut for Frasier on the back deck, a wellness check at the vet in a nearby town for Frasier and Bailey, and a major cleanup effort when I arrived home to find a shelf in the fridge had broken while the husband was -lookin-for-somethin- and therefore the glass jars of pickles, vinegar, relish, jam, syrup.. had shattered all over the floor leaving every bit of every thing in the vicinity sticky and glass shardy and he-who-had-a-meeting couldn't do a proper job cleaning it up so just do it, K? ...
After that...
... I said Frasier?.. waddya say you and I go down to Stella and see what's going on in our Summer 'hood. I need fresh air, don't you?
He agreed whole heartedly so we hopped back in Emma (my Jeep) and off we went. Do you name your cars? When I moved to CT from NY my plate was Ema and a number. I have kept that plate ever since (30 years now) and therefore, the car I drive is Ema. (pronounced Emma).
Emma and Stella amongst the Forsythia... a sight for sore eyes.
As soon as we got there we met with a neighbor, a lovely older woman who has been summering at her cottage for over 60 years, since the age of 6. I gave her a little tour of our progress and she was over the moon - as was I at the prospect of such a lovely person just up the hill, on the other side of Father Jim's place.
Once inside, I took note of the cluttered sitting area in the cottage and moved all the stuff, because I hadn't already done enough to my aching back so I knew I should push it just a little more for good measure. I think it looks better now, more balanced, less cluttered. If you're wondering why I placed an off-white rug in a summer cottage space where there will indeed be sandy feet traffic regularly, I don't have a reasonable answer.
Then I finished setting up my husbands sand jar collection... for many years when a friend would travel he would ask if they would bring back a bit of sand or rock, etc. from their destination. We've done the same when we vacation. The collection is quite exotic now, none of the exotic locations having come from our excursions.. with sands from Ireland, Bermuda, Australia, India, Greece, Cuba, Hawaii, the Hoover Dam, Bali, etc... and the collection sat in a big box in the basement for all this time. I'm thinking I should have nicknamed Stella "The Sand Box" now that she's given the collection a home.
So after shuffling all that stuff around, I almost sat for a moment to enjoy the view out the window, when I caught a glimpse of my rear in a mirror... and remembered right quick why the walk was the most important goal of the day. (*sigh)
As we walked the lane there were daffodils everywhere....
At the rock jetty Frasier did a little wade-in..... which he quickly surmised was foolish given the frigid water and new haircut status.
Along with the daffodils were a lot of these in the woods...
I believe these are Lesser Celandine...
More daffs....
and as we rounded the last bend heading back to the cottage,
we met another neighbor who lives there year round..
another warm and welcoming person who's gardens
are beautiful...
Speaking of gardens...
this weekend we top soiled, hayed and seeded the little lawn
and planted the road side border -
All shade loving plants as this side of the house
is full shade with just a little diffuse sun
Astilbe, Hosta, two hydrangea bushes,
coral bells.
I'm back home now, contemplating dinner...
reminding myself of that rear reflection in the mirror earlier today.
The Struggle Is Real.

What happened to my comment? I did a preview, and nada, zilch. hmmmm
ReplyDeleteOK never mind, I guess the comment went into the death chamber!
ReplyDeleteSo, what a morning you had; made me tired just reading it. jeez Louise
I am loving Stella more and more, & so amazed at what y'all have done first with the old house(s) and now this.
Those yellow flowers? I'm thinking they're what we get here in two different places. As soon as they pop out again, I'm going to compare with those. Of course, if we don't get some rain soon, nothin' is going to pop out. :(
I love the hubby's sand collection! Such a unique idea, and you brought them back to life. :)
I looked up your ice box cake again, since you had mentioned it today. OMG I'd forgotten how good that looks and sounds. I'm going to, at long last, make that. Going to have to when there's more people here than just P and I. Otherwise, I'd probably eat myself into a coma. I'll let you know when I make it, then check up on me in a day or so. :)
It's nice to connect with the neighbors, and the lady that lives year around? I didn't know that could be done since you mentioned about the water being turned on.
Oh, and Emma - did I tell you Hunter named my new car Betty Ann. It's crazy that we do that, but I always have and look at you with the same tag for all those years.
xoxoxo
I love Betty Ann!...LOL...
DeleteAnd if you haven't yet, you will LOVE that ice box cake. Easy to make, delicious! I'm gonna try your banana pudding.
Oh.. and you're question --- there are about 140 cottages on the "island"... and approximately six of them are year round residences. The rest are not winterized, and are not allowed to become winterized. That is what makes these cottages affordable to people like us.
DeleteI just responded to your comment and mentioned Stella! Oh- How I love her as I know you do, too. What would you say the sq ft is there? We are looking to downsize to a summer cottage and I am wondering how 'little' I can go without going crazy. lol I really love Stella -especially with a decent kitchen area like you have.
ReplyDeleteEverything there is just lovely, Karen Ann; the grounds, the water, the flowers, the crazy wading dog~
I just winced when you talked about the broken glass from the fridge. I dropped a shelf one time taking it out of the fridge and while it did not break when I went to swoop it up off the floor I knocked all the glass things on the counter off and created a horrible mess of broken glass, syrup, tomatoes, pickles. I still sweat thinking about it. lol
Hope you have a wonderful week- xo Diana
I just picked up another little shard of glass.... what a mess!!...
DeleteAs for the cottage size - we have joined the tiny house nation, I think, with the approx 725 sq. ft space. So here are my thoughts on your question... I think you and I have both lived in pretty good sized homes - and we're used to that space to provide room for family gatherings, etc. If you are only going to live there part time, and if it's a summer cottage with recreation opportunities right outside the door, I think small living is fine. Our cottage is two small bedrooms, I small kitchen, but it has what you need, I small bathroom, a washer/dryer closet and a regular closet, and a sitting area with room for dining table and couch and chairs in TV area. For a summer getaway, do you really need more room than that? If the kids come, there's another bedroom and a couch - and gatherings like a picnic or birthday celebration can be outside on the deck and yard for the most part. As you know, being on the water brings it's own form of entertainment - whether you are in the water doing something or watching whats going on out there. We are really.. really... enjoying not having a huge place to keep up, and even the gardens feel so much more manageable. Mentally, it's more enjoyable. That's my take on it, anyway. If you were to live there year round, I'd say ... no.
Oh Gawd...sounds like my spate of luck. I have an innate fear of glass. I really can't touch it or clean it up without a panic attack. Since I hate plastic even more, I have to drink out of a glass with a straw. Creates a lot of problems at restaurants but my family knows and loves me anyway.
ReplyDeleteJane x
Did I mention paper straw?
ReplyDeleteJANE!!??... LOL... My sister-in-law hates paper napkins...
DeleteThat cottage is just going to be so wonderful this summer! It's great that you are meeting such nice neighbours. Had to laugh at that last quote! -Jenn
ReplyDeleteUgh JENN!!! I have gotten NO WHERE with my weight loss goals.. yet.
DeleteThe fridge shelf? Seriously, are we married to the same man? Mine also has jars of rocks from destinations. The Jars-of-Rocks are a joke sore spot in our marriage because they take up storage space (every cabinet in the living room and dining room is filled with them) and he isn't inclined to figure out a nice way to Display them.
ReplyDeleteWe also have a named vehcile, a 4 dr black wrangler named Lord Vadar. The 11yo and I are Star Wars geeks. Vadar lives at our cabin.
I think hydrangea are a requirement for any coastal cottage, especially blue :)
Heather I love Lord Vadar!..lol.. and I do love my Black Wrangler - Jeep sister! Now my question is.. do you do the wave? (peace sign for me).
DeleteWe are new to the Jeep world and I was beyond puzzled when people started waving. Then I noticed they were Jeep people! Never knew it was a thing.
DeleteOur wave is also a peace sign :)
First car, Dallas Alice, from the Linda Ronstat song. Sorry, I'm laughing now, my sons favorite saying was "Dumber than a box of rocks"! On down memory lane..... Denise
ReplyDeleteLOL... and Love it! Dallas Alice!
ReplyDeleteKaren.. definitely another full day for you. Stella is looking great, glad you and Fraser got to spend time with her today. Love the daff pictures.
ReplyDeleteOne day I'll get to CT and maybe see Stella for myself :)
Stella just looks so divine. I hope to see more posts about her. PS - we also name our vehicles. The Suburban is "The Silver Bullet".
ReplyDeletehahahaha! You are so funny the way you tell stories. Cracks me up! I like the arrangement in the main room better - it does look more balanced. Beautiful pictures. I'm sure you are being far too hard on yourself regarding your back side. xoxo
ReplyDeleteHi Phyllis - and I always appreciate your comments - And no.. no, I'm not being to hard on myself. I've been a pig in the eating department and at middle age, I can't get away with it like I used to. It's that simple. :-)
DeleteLove the new look and name. What a bummer on the broken shelf and clean up. I would've been very frustrated.
ReplyDeleteThe sand collection is excellent!
Thank you Lisa!
DeleteThis is my first visit to your blog and I'm hooked! What a lovely area you live in, are you on the Cape?
ReplyDelete