We've had a busy 4th of July weekend here - all good! Little Sally arrived via transport from Georgia on Saturday in New Haven - at a rest stop along the city's shore containing about 275 thousand food trucks with half the population of the city in attendance - with 25 parking spots. I'm kidding, but not really.
Our new little girl was exhausted, and so very happy to get out of transport and into someone's lap. I will say the transport used was wonderful - they really give a damn about the dogs and treat them very well while in the very stressful environment they are in. My son came with me to pick up, and a shout out to him for being very kind despite his mother's embarrassing tears of happiness.
These are the girls of Grateful Doggies Freedom Transport. They bring shelter dogs from up and down the East Coast to their forever homes. They left Georgia on Friday morning - driving through the night, picking up pups along the way, delivering them to their adopters at various stops along their route.. it's exhausting work and they do it anyway. Amazing folks.
Right after this picture was taken she peed about 2 gallons directly on that shirt. She had been holding it in for a loooong time, apparently. Did I mention how much I love my son?
Sally (although we're still not set on the name) is doing very well, we adore her already. She's super friendly, smart as a whip, loves dogs and people.
Frasier and Bailey have made it clear she's not allowed on the bed.
They aren't either... clearly.
I need this shirt....
We spent the 4th at the cottage - Stella has proven to be a great family gathering place, it's a beautiful thing, just what I hoped for...
That's my dad in the photo below - M picked him up at the nursing home and we had a nice visit. There are times when we feel not-so-great about him living in a "home", but at the end of the day, it is without a doubt the right place for him to be. At the time of his last heart attack, he wasn't taking care of himself, hadn't cooked for himself in years, hadn't cleaned his little house in years, wasn't doing his laundry, wasn't taking his meds properly, and his driving was unsafe. We had been maintaining his property for him for years, trying to give him as much independent living time as possible. If you read here often, you know our relationship is a tough one. Living here with us is just not an option - he's lucky we do what we do. But.. I admire this in him - he has made a decent life for himself at the home, and that's where I feel good about the decision to place him there. First of all, it's a good one - clean, updated, friendly knowledgeable staff and lots of activities for those who are still fairly active. He has made friends and has a social circle. He is now the president of the residents association, and joins in the activities. All is well that ends well.
And because I gotta be me... how about that Christie fella closing down NJ beaches on the weekend of the biggest beach holiday of the year, beaches that hard working tax payers of the state pay for, only to open one up JUST FOR HIS FAMILY for the 4th weekend. His answer to questions by reporters as to how he could do that was basically this... "I'm the governor, I can do that. If you want to become governor you can do it too!" Wow dude.. talk about saying FU to your people. I'm pretty sure he doesn't plan to run for anything ever again.
If a picture says a thousand words....
Till soon, friends - thanks for stopping by.
















I love that your son is such a trooper! Sally has won the jackpot! Hope everyone else is getting used to her. She is so cute!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jeanne! For the most part, all are doing really well. Ben isn't sure whether she's a dog or a rabbit. LOL.
DeleteShe's a real cutie! Do those drivers get paid, or is a voluntary thing?? That's amazing. Your pictures from the cottage look so lovely and homey. -Jenn
ReplyDeleteThanks Jenn! The transport company does charge a small fee, not sure if the drivers are volunteers or paid. If they are, it can't be much, as the fee is very reasonable.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your new baby! And let's be clear we know she is yours!
ReplyDeleteAnd how bout Conway in that picture two funnies! Can you imagine ANY OTHER WOMAN sitting like that? So professional in a room full of ass....never mind guess she fits right in!
Sharon
My sentiments exactly. Wow. Just wow.
DeleteIt sounds like everything is falling into place for you. AWESOME! As for C. Christie.....what a dumb%@s!
ReplyDeleteIndeed! lol...
DeleteChristie's an ass. Sally is adorable. (Let her up on the bed, doggies.) Kudos to those gals driving so far to give pupsters homes.
ReplyDeleteBrenda
He is indeed, Brenda. And thank you, I love her so much already - a real gem of a dog.
DeleteIsn't she just the most adorable little nubbin!
ReplyDeleteThe poor girl probably finally felt relaxed and her bladder let go. We had the same with our one cat. It wasn't until he settled down that he could pee and couldn't make it to the box, his one and only accident in his 20 years.
Glad to hear it was a good visit with your dad. Maybe I mentioned this before but I wish we could have placed my dad in a good nursing home. At home with us DEFINATELY was not an option and we even had a great relationship. He would have thrived in a community setting but instead he was at home, anxious, isolated, paranoid and alone until the end.
My mom tells me over an over to have no guilt if we need to place her, just to make sure it's a clean place :).
We can't make their choices for them, and it sounds as if your dad just really wanted to be home, unwilling to learn what his life could be like if he gave it a chance. I know for my dad it was a hard transition and I made the decision for him because he just wasn't being realistic. Now, however, he says - I know why I'm here. I know I need the care. And, as I said - he did find a social life again. Your mom sounds like a gem.
DeleteBless her little heart!! I've only been involved in transfer programs on the sending end...We send so many from Mississippi "up north." It was definitely hard at times to send, but we found homes for many of our "old timers" who had been locked in the shelter for years through transport programs. Most of the people on our sending end were volunteers. Brings tears to my eyes to see video and pics of the pups who make it into loving homes on the other end :)
ReplyDeleteI'm past being shocked at our politics. It's like we're living a nightmare.
Bless your heart for being involved in rescue - so many needs - not enough people stepping up. Good work!
DeleteThat beach house belongs to the State of NJ and that jackass only has access to it until November. Can't wait until that overflated, egotistical, liar has to vacate.
ReplyDeleteAmen, Rose - what a selfish pr*ck. That's the word for him.
DeleteI saw that about Christie on the news. What a jerk. Sally is marvelous! She looks so tiny compared to the full grown dogs. We just finished fostering four kittens for the humane society.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of Sally, have you heard from Whispering Hope Sally? I've been worried about her!
Yes, she's home from the hospital/physical therapy center and is doing well!
DeleteIt really is a beautiful thing for your new puppy, and for your dad. Life is hard sometimes so it's wonderful to get good news. Yeah, I wondered about that Christie. OY
ReplyDeletexoxo
ReplyDeleteVery nice post.really I apperciate your blog.Thanks for sharing.keep sharing more blogs.
หนังจีนv