Thursday, December 14, 2017

Decency Matters ....and a few more holiday recipes


   Lately I've tried not to dive  daily headfirst into the current political mess we're all in. There's no question the stress flares the fibromyalgia,  and it's so not worth it over something I have  little control over (like zero).    What I can say today is that I was so happy when I woke up a few mornings ago to the news that a pedophiliac racist bigot who so hypocritically hides behind a religion  like R*y More-or-Less was sent a very clear message - Decency Matters.  I want to shout out to the world so that Alabama can hear - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU ALABAMA.  

  Onward!   I've got all my shopping done and wrapped, been trying some new recipes too.  It's hell trying to avoid gluten at this time of year, and although I've given it a sincere effort, baking those favorite recipes with gluten free substitutes just.. sucks.  SO... I'm making and baking as I always do, and I'm not eating it myself.   Have you ANY idea how difficult that is?  But I have to acknowledge my truth - while I am not a celiac,  gluten makes me feel yuck and flares the fibro.  *sigh.  

 


  Making this for our celebration with mom on Sunday

Eggnog Cheesecake 
 Recipe HERE







   Spinach Dip Breadstick  Christmas Tree
Recipe HERE

 




This is the scene right this minute outside my little office window here at the farm. 
Light snow falling on a stand of pine trees - 
my favorite spot at This Old House. 
The nature that surrounds us, the saving grace. 



Till soon, friends - 


8 comments:

  1. The saving grace. That says it all, Karen. Amen.

    Your recipes sounds really good. I'm kind at a standstill about what I'll be making since not sure yet where we'll be, or if we'll be here. :)

    I always enjoy seeing photos of your surroundings; such beauty to behold.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to bake, but I haven't. We shouldn't eat it, friends don't want to eat it, and I'm convinced it's one more reason why getting older is not that much fun. The snow is beautiful and while I'd love to take some pretty winter photos, I'd have to quickly leave again for warmth.
    I felt much more lighthearted yesterday after the election in Alabama. People can make a change for the good if they choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your banner is picture perfect! WOW! It's really gorgeous at this time of year. I know you enjoy the winter season there too. And yes I know how hard it is not to eat the goodies. I'll be making a cake soon and wish I could have just one bite but I don't want to be in a coma so I won't! lol Enjoy your day sweet friend. Holiday hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my visit here as it leaves me feeling warm and cozy and makes me think I should try to bake something. That fresh fallen snow is the very best kind when its not overly cold, and not too much snow all at once- so pretty! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Decency matters when it suits you as you always save your outrage and emotional outbursts for anyone who does not happen to have the correct political affiliation. But you are always a fun read. Watch out for that anvil Wylie Coyote. Meep meep and happy holidays. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bake and don't eat, too, Karen. Just not worth it to pay the price of feeling miserable. This year though I have cut way back being as we are in a transition part of life and moving in the spring. So much of my 'stuff' is packed away or in a warehouse.

    I am glad, too, that a clear message was sent that sexual misconduct is NOT acceptable no matter what party you belong to and support. I will be glad to see all these asses prosecuted and hope they all have to serve time.

    I hope you have a peaceful, blessed weekend, Karen. I was hoping to have a quiet weekend here but it looks like THAT is not going to happen. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. We can only hope the pendulum continues to swing back toward decency everywhere, in every election.

    I am trying Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour for baking. I don't really notice that much of a difference in taste (probably b/c I cover it w/so much chocolate, cranberries, etc.!) but it definitely doesn't have the same consistency as the regular baking flour. But, I know it is better for me, so I'm just going to keep using it...

    Your pictures are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bread stick tree is super cute.
    It's hard sometimes not to get worked up over stuff in the media lately, but it sounds like you're managing well!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...