I am for a government that is not bought by the NRA. The NRA used to be an organization of integrity, concerned with safety issues. Not so today, run by a wingnut who's main concern is whipping everyone into a frenzy over their rights, buying politicians to protect their sales, under the disguise of protecting the Second Amendment. No one is trying to take away your second amendment rights, to be clear. Just adding common sense to the equation, really, that's it.
I am for stricter gun laws, and many who agree with me are not looking to take your guns away if you are a responsible individual who passes a background check and are mentally sound.
Now, you might say mental health is the issue, not the gun. All the more reason to have more restrictions. There is no sound reason for a 19 year old with a disturbing digital history to be able to buy an assault rifle capable of killing many people quickly.
Trump blamed the tragedy on mental health, although he himself signed last year’s bill to relax vetting of mentally unstable gun purchasers.
So far in 2018, we have numerous school shootings in less than two months, 30 mass shootings all together. All conducted with the assault rifle.
That’s terrorism, the home grown variety. More restrictions won’t fix the whole problem, but it’s a step in the right direction. Doing nothing isn’t the answer. When is enough, enough? Do we have to wait for the bought politicians children to be massacred? Then will it matter enough?
Drain the Swamp.
Thank you for weighing in on the issue. We need to hear from sensible owners such as you who see that no one is “coming after” your guns. Sane, reasonable safety regulations are needed NOW! No intelligent gun owner should be afraid of that. Nancy from NYC
ReplyDeleteHE IS THE SWAMP.
ReplyDeleteA commonsense approach is apparently too much to ask from our 'bought-and-paid-for' politicians. NRA is not about rights of gun owners, but about gun SALES and political power. People get the government they deserve. God help us.
ReplyDelete-Eileen in Fla.
Homegrown, yes indeed
ReplyDeleteI agree with your every word.
My heart aches. So much.
Well said and I am in complete agreement.
ReplyDeleteAMEN!
ReplyDeleteI agree and I am baffled as to why the public needs automatic weapons such as what was used yesterday. I am just baffled. I understand those who want to own an handgun or rifle for hunting. But A/Rs.
ReplyDeleteI grew up in Wyoming and hunting is a big activity there. I was a member of the NRA at that time, learned how to shoot a rifle in classes sponsored by them but as you said, they are not the organization that existed in the 70's now.
ReplyDeletethere should be background checks of mental stability to buy weapons. We don't let people that are too young or too old drive unless they can pass the tests etc because a car is a several thousand pound weapon that can harm many people in a short period of time and in most of those cases is unintentional unlike the use of these guns.
during the assault weapon ban that existed between 1994 and 2004, even with all its loopholes, a person could only buy a magazine that held 10 bullets. Many municipalities have stricter limits than that still but approx 42 states do not have any restrictions on bullet magazines. this adds to the carnage that can be caused in the blink of an eye.
Are we going to get this changed? Politicians give very good lip service and are funded handsomely by the NRA. the only way to change any of this is with public outcry and VOTING which Americans are apathetic about much of the time. Only about 60% of registered voters vote in Presidential elections and only 40% on average in Midterm elections. I hope this number will be dramatically increased this year.
thank you for letting me air my opinion. it is long. I appreciate your candor about our current political situation and your courage!!!
Take care from Iowa
The hypocrisy of that man is beyond belief. To stand there and talk about mental illness and guns, knowing that he signed that bill to loosen the vetting re: mental health and guy ownership just amazed me. I wish I would see (and maybe I missed it) a journalist at one of these briefings specifically say that: how can Trump complain about an issue that he himself made worse?
ReplyDeleteI admit I sat and cried watching the news when the latest shooting happened. And to see that poor mother's grief, as she was talking about making funeral arrangements for her child? Heartbreaking.
Well said . . .
ReplyDeleteLast paragraph and
Drain the Swamp . . .
DITTO . . .
The terrorist I fear isn't the one from a foreign country. It's the deeply disturbed young person (well, wait a minute -- think Las Vegas and youth is not a requirement) -- the deeply disturbed person who has access to firearms of any kind but particularly assault-style weapons and an attitude. Mental health is key, but so is gun control. Not gun prohibition but control. I'm pretty sure no one wants the second amendment abolished. We just want it to be made more safe. When dealers are making a fortune off the lives of school children, something must be done.
ReplyDeleteSorry. I rarely get political. But this one really hurts.