Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Coop Revival



   Thank you for all the kind words regarding the loss of my dear horse, Opie.  His absence is keenly felt by both myself and the four other horses that live with us up on the hill.   Even the farrier had tears in his eyes when we told him Opie was no longer on the roster for  shoes.  They truly become family, and I know many of you understand the pain of the loss through your own experiences. 


   When we moved into This Old House after the renovation, (my name for her has always been Saving Grace, or just Grace) I decided I wanted Chickens.  Our previous three homes had the same theme, small horse farms, but it stopped at horses, dogs and cats.  I wanted to add to the menagerie and the husband liked the idea of actually producing something on our "farm". There's something very satisfying about growing some of your own food.   We've lived here for eight years now and we  hay our fields and have a decent two plot vegetable garden, and bringing in fresh eggs  from chickens that are fed wholesome quality feeds is just a good feeling.  Plus I love animals of all kinds, more for me to love, right?  

   My current flock of 14 chickens consists of a few very old ones - two from the original batch, and a handful of middle aged hens from  newer batches I brought in throughout those eight years.  Chickens only lay eggs for about three years, their first two being the most productive - and some a little longer, but they can live to be ten or so.  Many farmers either eat their laying chickens after their prime (which will not result in a plump oven roaster, as laying hens are built and fed differently than meat birds)  or send them to auction so they can bring in a fresh batch of laying chickens, where some other sucker might buy them thinking they have laying hens. About half my hens no longer lay eggs, but I just can't dump them. 

Oatmeal with cream and blueberries in a graham pie crust  for breakfast




     They'll stay here  and live comfortably till they pass on. My current coop only holds the 14 chickens I have, so... to bring in more chickens means I need a bigger coop.  The Mr. rolls his eyes at this, but my truth is my truth - I can't dump or kill and eat something that has lived here on the farm. This is why we don't have cows.  He'd love a few, but only if in two years they can be sent to the "beauty parlor".   I can't serve up Henry from the freezer after I've fed and cared for him for two years. We have a friend who actually labels his beef in the freezer -  Betsy,  Ivy,  Franny... and so on.  I want to save two veal calves and raise them, but we are at an impasse on the terms and conditions, so we remain... cowless. 

   I did convince him we need a bigger coop.  One would think since I'm married to a home builder, building a new coop would be no problem at all.  Ah, but taking time out of the work crew's schedule to build a frivolous coop just isn't prudent.  So we looked online at pre-mades, like the one we ordered from the Amish nine years ago.  They've gone up in price, of course!  There are so many options out there too, from the simple to the ornate... 







 Can you imagine?  



 My current coop below...  The EggPlant.  We added on a little here and there, so it now looks like a bunch of afterthoughts.. which it is.  I'd like to streamline it - and I have some ideas on how we can move the whole operation up to where the horses live, instead of down by the garage and house.  In bad weather or deep snow it can be a chore to get over to the chicken coop to do those chores and then trek up to the barn - with  some of the same supplies kept in two different places.   After much discussion and a little bitching (!) , I think we're going to go with my idea... stay tuned! 



   Below are the new chick breeds (three of each)  I've ordered from Cackle Hatchery , one of the big operations you can mail order your chicks from.  Sometimes I have bought from local grain stores, but those are always the standard breeds and this time I want to fortify a rainbow of egg colors. The big hatcheries have a better breed selection.  They'll arrive at the beginning of March, so we need to get cracking on the new coop build!  (fingers crossed)


   
Lavender Ameraucana (blue egg) 
   


French Black Copper Maran (dark brown egg) 


Olive egger ( green egg) 


 Faverolle (sp?  light brown egg) 



Speckled Sussex (light brown egg) 




     Austra White (white/ivory egg) 


 The chicks will arrive as days old babies - and will need to be raised until full size in what will be the new coop, away from the mature hens in the current coop.  This is for their protection, otherwise they would most likely be bullied and killed. Chickens can be horrible to each other.  Think of the sayings - hen pecked, pecking order - and you'll understand the origin.   Once they are full size, I'll introduce them all together in the new coop.  They should be able to live together in the new larger coop and coop yard happily. 

  More on the Coop revival to come!  
  

12 comments:

  1. after reading every word and enjoying ever word and doing a few giggles and chuckles. I think I can sum this up in one word. your are going to add a kindergarten coop to raise new chickens for different colored eggs. no chicken dies by human hand. how did I do?
    I agree with you, who could eat a named anything at all. Daddy tried when I was 8 years old to bring chickens in for mother to fry. each time I burst into tears and said I can't eat GERTRUDE, which caused my 4 year old brother to cry out the same thing. Daddy killed them all, took them to where he worked as a butcher, this was way back in the early 50's, and exchanged them and brought home unnamed chickens. for many years I truly believed that is what he did. but now? ha … from 1946 to 1952 my family lived in a converted chicken coop in my aunts back yard. her husband was a builder and made it into a 2 bedroom 1 bath tiny house for 4 people.... now you know why I loved this post. our coop did not look like any of these

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to the farm.

    I love seeing other folks care for chickens. (Had enough of that as a child, thank you very much.) They are interesting for sure. And the eggs can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally understand your want of more chickens. Husband revamped my chicken coop this past summer. Good luck with new chicks. Yes, chickens can be merciless. My rooster "attacked" me this morning. Didn't want a rooster at all. Ummmm, would you like a free rooster? -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you still have Grace? I remember when you got the very first little's and if I recall right they all got names. I think Hunter named one, but I can't remember. :)

    Those are some elaborate chicken houses, and like you, I could never eat one! Ever.

    Happy New year to all of you!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really miss having chickens!!! I had them when I first moved up from the city, when I was married. They were free range, and came home to their little coop to roost at night. The last one was left for dead half eaten by a hawk, and that was the end of me having chickens. However, if I had a secure, closed coop I might consider some day getting them again. But maybe it's a really bad idea to invite more predators into my garden? I worry enough about my little dogs as it is....sigh. I guess I'll keep buying fresh eggs at the farm at the end of the road!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You treat your chickens very well, which is nice to see. Wow, some of those prototype chicken coops are positively palatial! Hell, I'D live in them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear about your horse. Animals are family, no matter what they are. Our older hens died and we were "chickenless" last year and I missed them. We are also looking to add chickens this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to raise chickens. Not allowed here..or better yet a next door neighbor who would sell me fresh beautifully colored eggs like those pictured. sigh..one of those dreams to let go...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy for you! :) Can't wait to see the new babies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find this fascinating. I THINK I'd love to have chickens. I know I'd love the eggs! But no-go in the city, so... I can't wait to see the babies and how you expand the coop.

    True story. When my dad was about eight or nine -- this would have been early 1920s -- he lived on a farm and his pet chicken (probably a rooster, now that I think of it) was Pedro. One day he sat down to dinner and his grandmother, when complimented on dinner said, "Well, that was Pedro." Dad was heartbroken and he could never really say he loved chicken after that, although it was more removed to see the parts in the meat department at the store. I couldn't eat them either, and I am grateful you are giving these sweet old girls the opportunity to live long, well and happy in a safe spot. The Southern Exposure people do that, too -- many of their birds come to our craft workshops and wander among us. They're so soft when you pet them!

    The photo of the eggs is a stunner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a springtime happening . . .
    Inspiring to think of something new . . .
    Maybe even more so when one is reeling from recent loss . . .
    I am looking forward to seeing the new chicks.
    I am with you, positive I couldn’t raise and then eat . . .
    Happy New Year Days Karen. . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed this post. Having someone in your life like Mrs. F can be a game changer in how we think and how we'd like to live out the rest of our lives. That a woman her age can not only get by, but can do all that she does around the holidays without help, is a testament staying well, busy and happy. Whenever I fall into the trap of not wanting to attempt to lift something heavy, or copping out on a commitment when I have the sniffles, I sternly remind myself to suck it up. Keep moving. I have a 'thing' about being dependent on people. God love your friend and many more years together!

    I think you have a good plan for the chickens. It's all very interesting to me. I see that a lot of small farms have goats, which I think are so darn cute. Asking the city girl, is it hard to get their milk pasteurized or made into cheese? Or are these just hobby farm animals?

    Happy New Year, my friend!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...