...wouldn't be a Sand Tart.
However... all Sand Tarts are not the same, I have discovered.
When our friend Tim G. gave us his mothers personal recipe
for Sand Tart cookies last year, I think it was my favorite gift.
This is definitely an heirloom cookie.
It's like no other recipe I have googled... and I did some googling because
I had never heard of "sand tarts" before....and OOOH MAN
the ones he brought over for us to sample were out of this world.
What I found on the internet were recipes like this...
and they tend to look like this...
All, I'm sure, are delicious. But none are quite like Mrs. G.'s
Yesterday we got that lovely snow/slush/rain storm and the dogs and I
spent the day in the kitchen making Mrs. G.'s Sand tarts.
There are no nuts in this recipe...
a whole lot of butter, sugar, flour -
and a whole lot of steps to get there.
I tripled the batch and it took me four and a half hours from the mixing of dough,
to the chilling, rolling, cutting out, baking cooling, making the icing and dipping in sugar.
Ah, those final steps are the secret to these particular Sand Tarts...
and I'd give you the recipe, but then I'd have to kill you.
Frasiers already had too many cookies, wouldn't ya say?
The men are all out shoveling and plowing...
The girlchild and I just came in from barn and coop chores and it sure is messy out there.
One more batch of cookies today and we'll have a really nice mix
to put together for friends.
to put together for friends.
Are you a christmas cookie baker?
What's your favorite kind? Feel free to share a link to a recipe in the comments section below.
It's a new day, All - Stay warm and make it a good one -












Really now, Karen? You can't share the recipe. Okay. Well, you know I'd forget to put the flour in anyway. :)
ReplyDeleteThey sure look good! I your family and friends appreciate all the wonderful cooking you do for them, and not just at Christmas.
LOVE your pics. Not snowing here, but raining all night and this morning. We needed it though.
Have a blessed day.
xoxo
Sunday is the best cookie making day. That's what we'll be doing too!
ReplyDeleteThe best cookies are the simplest with pure ingredients, imo. I like my shortbread, 4 ingredients that can be tarted up, kept simple, iced, left nekked and still taste amazing.
ReplyDeleteLost my train of thought when I saw the last photo. I've seen that window in many of your photos, but never from that perspective. (Inside, behind the couch) Man, that sucker is HUGE!
ReplyDeleteI have to say how beautiful that last shot is. My!
ReplyDeleteI love to make cookies but I do sort of eliminate the ones with a lot of steps. I'm looking at the recipes trying to figure out their success. And the name...never heard of it.
Christmas is the one time of year I give pies a break (I love making those, and cupcakes, too). Cookies are fun, sugar cookies a ritual. But every year I find a few new recipes. We go to a lot of parties so I just bring them as a hostess gift. I am making some dough today to freeze.
Cold and snowy here, and a quiet day. A good one!
XO,
Jane
I'm speechless. And bereft at the fact that there is no recipe for the deliciousness you have me pining for. Lawsy mercy, girl.
ReplyDeleteHere's what I'm trying this year:
http://picky-palate.com/2010/12/20/kiss-pies/
I make an excellent candy cane cookie, too. Got it from an old Betty Crocker cookbook I have. Found it here for you:
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/candy-cane-cookies/93832e29-3b4f-4977-ae5a-9820053b254c
I start baking next weekend and am going to a cookie exchange on Sunday. I have to bring 9 doz.!
Yum...they look great Karen...it was worth all your hard work!...:)JP
ReplyDeleteNICE recipe!!!!! I am all about heirloom recipes and anything else.
ReplyDeleteOh-I am so jealous. My ovens are NOT working-have not been working since before Thanksgiving. Waiting to see what the company will do-they were a splurge-top of the line!!! and they have lasted FIVE years and now they can't fix them>?! UGH
ReplyDeleteAnyway, Have a great week and I will be sniffing your blog screen from here- xo Diana
I love sand tarts--they are very similar to my mom's cocoon cookies that she always made at Christmas- only Christmas time! They are very simple ingredients, but always pecans in them-- (puh cons) as we say down here!
ReplyDeleteV