Well, I did something yesterday I've never done before. I wrote Christmas letters to two of my older relatives and included a collage from picmonkey of photos of my family and my sisters family over the past year. Not surprisingly, many of the pics include horses and dogs. What I didn't do was highlight all the awesome things we experienced this year... and part of the reason for that is... it wasn't a bad year, but it wasn't awesome either. And I don't like the bragging deal, regardless. I also didn't want to talk about the negatives... Merry Christmas! I'm deafer than I was last year, my daughter is realizing that the job market for college grads really really sucks right now, my son doesn't want to go to college and hey, Mike's business is really slow and our health insurance was cancelled thanks to the new Affordable Care Act! And I thought it was a great idea!
That would just be a downer. So I talked about how much I appreciate all the family gatherings both relatives hosted for the entire extended family when I was young and how those memories have shaped the person I am today. Hopefully that doesn't make them cringe. I told them I have appreciated their love and guidance over the years, even during times when we didn't see each other often because we live states away. I also mentioned their departed loved ones and how they have not been forgotten, how they are still missed and remembered especially at this time of year.
It's just my opinion here, but that kind of newsletter isn't a bad idea. It doesn't cost more than a few sheets of paper and a stamp or two. The recipient will probably appreciate the reaching out in a personal way and connecting with family near or far just feels good, reinforces what we've had since birth, a part of the foundation we are built from. If you're estranged? What better way to bridge the gap.
have you seen this? Now that's keeping it real. LOL
I do find the picture humorous, however the fact that this is close to reality
is a sad and growing trend. Unplug yourself and live your real life, ya know?
I do find the picture humorous, however the fact that this is close to reality
is a sad and growing trend. Unplug yourself and live your real life, ya know?

That picture is actually very disturbing to me. Where will it end do you think, with our faces, and our kids faces, glued to a little screen?
ReplyDeleteIt can't be good.
It doesn't even feel right.
Your letter sounds caring and loving. I'm sure the recipients will appreciate receiving it. That Christmas Card is just plain gross!! But I'm afraid that might be our future, unless we put a stop to it. I have a friend, who has a basket at his doorway to collect all electronics while his children and grand children visit. They get them back when they leave. That might become one of my traditions too!!!
ReplyDeletei have used 'form' letters in years past. it is the only time of year some of my siblings and a few other relatives really hear from me at all. i didn't write last year and haven't decided whether i will this year. sort of an 'ommission of bad news' kind of thing. feel bad about not saying hello, but really don't know if i want to talk about real life, either. :)
ReplyDeleteKaren - not a fan of the braggarty Christmas letters either. I write notes on cards to some people every year but this year I did print out a picture collage sort of like what you did.
ReplyDeleteI do have the time to write individual notes, a lot of people don't. Do enjoy some of the Christmas letter though, just not the pretentious, annoying ones.
Merry Christmas to you and your family... letter to follow.. lol
-Joan-
www.mvobsession.com
I have never sent a Christmas letter and was thinking about doing it this year and being truthful about how lonesome I have been all year since my family have all moved away and busy with their lives and wishing things were like they use to be and really whining LOL however I thought no better not do that LOL
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas
I haven't seen that card. As bad as it is, it did crack me up.
ReplyDeleteI have never sent a newsletter. And I do know those that you speak of. Yuck. I will say that each year we get a newsletter from an older couple Paul used to work with that I adore, and can't wait to read. They have a goal to visit all 50 states, and each year they write about it with a few pictures. But it isn't braggy at all - and they mix it in w/ trials that they have faced during the year and news about their beloved rescue cats (they don't have kids, so the cats are really their kids). Anyhow, something about the newsletter is always so genuine and uplifting. I hope they never stop writing them :-)
Your idea of a newsletter sounds much more palatable, especially the inclusion of the photo collage!
ReplyDeleteThe photo... see it all the time and I find it disturbing. Can't even go out to eat without seeing entire families on their devices and not communicating with each other.
I know exactly what you are talking about with those newsletters. Often people refer to names of I assume children or grandchildren that I don't recognize. I wish they would at least give a clue or two of who they are talking about. We did a newsletter once and I was an uncomfortable as you were. So glad you conquered your fears and wrote a caring letter.
ReplyDeleteSam
The picture on the card makes me SO sad... WTH are we allowing/teaching our younger generation about relationships and being fully present?
ReplyDeleteGREAT idea for a collage and letter to older relatives; I can't imagine they'd cringe knowing they made a difference in your life! May have to steal this idea!
Oh my gosh, is it a REAL Christmas card???
ReplyDeleteI did not get a yearly letter from an elderly couple whose friendship I valued this year.... they live far away... and I know it means there will be no more letters.
I think the letter you wrote is a wonderful idea. And yes, that Christmas postcard is the awful truth.
ReplyDeleteI just received a newsletter yesterday from my uncle in the UK. He sends one every year and I love it. He catches us up on his kids and grandkids and I see it as proudly singing their praises. He also touches on the not so great parts of the year (this year 2 tragic deaths of our beloved family members). It helps me feel connected. I think the key is to send them to the right people who are connected to the people in his letter.
ReplyDeleteSometimes I enjoy getting those letters, especially from friends or relatives who live far away. But like you, sometimes they have a way of leaving a hollow feeling that they just aren't that "real" or truthful...omitting the everyday part of life that is really the glue. I for one, do not want to just hear how wonderful everything is, and what amazing things they've accomplished. I think your picture collage idea is a great one, and I couldn't agree more about electronic gadgets...people need to unplug and look around a bit more. It's becoming very sad.
ReplyDelete