I'm just in awe.
His home in New Hampshire is pictured below... The Oaks
which was for sale in May 2013 for $475,000.
He lived here with his wife from the time he built it at the age of 28 until his death.
The house has an interesting history, however...and the reason it has been
on and off the market and at such a good deal of a price is because
the original burnt to the ground in the 1970's. A replica (sort of) was put back
up in it's place and the original outbuildings still grace the landscape.
The house has an interesting history, however...and the reason it has been
on and off the market and at such a good deal of a price is because
the original burnt to the ground in the 1970's. A replica (sort of) was put back
up in it's place and the original outbuildings still grace the landscape.
For more information on the artist here
* Update - I've just changed the way I posted the links... while I was able to
visit my blog and click on the link the way I had it, another reader
was not able to, saying the link as I had it was not active.
Let me know if the links work for you -






Mayfield Parrish is phenomenal. I've seen many of his works. His pallet is spectacular and the realism he captures is amazing. Even in the shadows he makes everything come alive.
ReplyDeleteKaren, he's been a favorite for decades and a coffee table sized book is one to peruse when the soul is in need of physical nourishment.
ReplyDeleteBTW, did you know, when you're writing your blog post, on the upper table of contents, there's the work Link (underlined and in blue. You can do a live link to the page you're referencing. If this is clear as mud, PM me and I'll walk you through it. You can give up the lengthy, dead links.
his depiction of light is amazing. :)
ReplyDeletei love your new header.
I love how he paints the reflections in the water.
ReplyDeleteThe paintings almost look like photos with a texture added to them...really nice.
ReplyDeleteHis work is beautiful. I haven't seen it in years.
ReplyDeleteI could get the Wiki link to come up but the Oaks link keeps getting hung up.
Atheist that I am, I will use the one of the church for my desktop for awhile because I see in it a harmony and completeness that draws me right in. I too love Parrish. I think his work represents the only coffee table size art book that my wife ever bought, which is quite nice really, because we tend to have very different tastes, and I doubt that our 42 years together has seen either of us move much in the other's direction.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I came to your blog at the recommendation of another blogger (http://musingsbythecreekside.blogspot.com/) who admires you for your concern about animals as exemplified in your post that featured Michael Vic. It was indeed quite startling how quickly many people seemed willing to ignore his cruelty if not to actually defend it, claiming that his deeds were the result of "cultural differences" and his victims "only animals."
I have two Maxfield Parrish prints in my possession... I love them. I actually found one in a very old frame at a garage sale for 10.00!
ReplyDelete