Monday, January 27, 2014

Winter Water


We took a drive along the shore yesterday and discovered some new
places we though we might like to retire to if we ever decide the farm
becomes too much work to maintain.  We were actually pretty
excited about our discovery..and WOW, how have we never heard of this
beautiful enclave before!  It's still rural in charm, not over developed, and right
along the water! Marshland along the road, I'm already thinking what a great place to walk the dogs!
Oh, some of the houses are really big, but others are reasonable and
there were even a few old farm houses in the vicinity. Not super close together, either!
  Doable!
Here's an arial view.. the big houses you see are the untouchables, but we
saw land and smaller homes strewn throughout the hills and water inlets of this place. 
 Then we got home to do some research  and ...*sigh*
picture someone letting go of a newly blown up balloon that has not been tied yet.
That dream deflated pretty quickly and with fanfare.

You, too, can own a waterfront 2.5 acre lot near Old Quarry Road for a cool $2,400,000. 
The homes go for much more. 
_MUCH_


What the *WHAT??* 

So THAT'S where the big money lives.

Anyway.. it was a fine day to take some pictures in a more visitor friendly stretch
a few coves over...
but I left my good camera home.  
I'll give you these OK phone pics instead.
The blue in the sky was almost surreal
and the ice on the rocks and surrounding the docks 
was a reminder of just how cold it's been around here.




Look at that sky....








The bummer in this area is how high the waterfront people have to jack up their houses
now that we've had two major storms in as many years. 

It's downright ugliness, but insurance companies insist.
Somehow it just changes the flavor of the whole area. 


We laid in bed last night and M said to me...
"Maybe we'll just grow old right here".

Sounds good to me. 



13 comments:

  1. As much as I love your blog, each time I hit a highlighted word, I am inundated with obscure and unsolicited ads....popping up all over while I endeavor to read, or
    I lose the website when I try to
    exit....I don't know if you have
    any control over these solicitations, but it is discouraging to try to follow your blog and I will take leave
    for awhile...too distracting.
    Still love you and all you do...
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as I love your blog, each time I hit a highlighted word, I am inundated with obscure and unsolicited ads....popping up all over while I endeavor to read, or
    I lose the website when I try to
    exit....I don't know if you have
    any control over these solicitations, but it is discouraging to try to follow your blog and I will take leave
    for awhile...too distracting.
    Still love you and all you do...
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you certainly do have a beautiful piece of property to grow old in! Remember, you could always go visit the sea, she's not that far from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh- How disappointing that it is so expensive. I think we are getting ready to downsize in the next year or so. I'm still not sure where I want to end up...or what I want to be when I grow up...lol

    Your place is pretty cool to grow old on, Karen! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well heck that stinks, but you really do have a piece of heaven where you are.

    The pictures are wonderful, Karen, and with your phone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you, Karen. If it looks too good too be true, it usually is. But don't ever give up looking, it seems you two really enjoy it. And of course, you always come back to your special place. Love the pics!! Yeah, it's a shame about the homes but there are many island homes that have had to be built like this as well for centuries. We have some specifics we have to follow when building on the lake as far as foundations. Sadly, homes built before these were enforced are slowly sliding into the water. :(

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. um, yeah. i'm thinking your sweet farm is all that and a bag of chips, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, indeedy...stay put... You have it all!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen - good camera or not... it's the person behind it that makes the difference.
    Your photos are awesome.. as always.
    -Joan-
    www.mvobsession.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh- yes. Some of our lake home properties go for those extremely big numbers too. Awhile back we looked at a tiny "tear down"on a sliver of a lot- thinking what if we pulled a trailer in until we could build? Yeah- the tear down was still 500,000, because the multi million $ houses were still close by.

    Love seeing the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe you'll want to be warm and will move to Florida!

    It's crazy how much real estate goes for, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl, I can't imagine how you could ever leave where you are right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Where you live now is perfection. I understand though at some point not wanting so much work though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...