Thursday, June 26, 2014

Heartworm Disease in Dogs.



    When I adopted Frasier and had him thoroughly check out by my vet, it was discovered he had a good case of heartworm, which, if untreated, will eventually kill the dog.  The worms suffocate the heart and lungs, etc.  The treatment is expensive (about $700.) but necessary.  And.. there is a three to five month - Keep the dog calm and quiet - period of time because the dying worms start traveling through their bloodstream and you don't want them getting caught up in the heart, lungs, etc... causing paralysis or death.   Ugh. THAT.. was no easy feat with Frasier.

   So, Ben had a skin tag thing on his leg and I brought him to the vet to have it checked and removed earlier this week. While there he had his yearly heartworm and Lyme test.  I got the call the next day - both came back positive.  WHAT?   I do give my dogs heartworm pills, but not during the winter months because mosquitos don't live here in those seasons.  Down south the problem is much more prevalent. This is where Frasier came from.   SO... how did BEN get it?.... I freaked a little.  Had all four dogs brought back and tested .. all are negative.  After a second heartworm test in house on Ben, it was decided the first one was a false positive, especially since he has no evidence of heartworm disease.  I'm glad he doesn't have heartworm, kind of alarming that the first came back positive, falsely.  He's on Doxycycline for the Lyme disease, which is far too common in humans and animals in New England.

 Lesson here - always ask for a second test with heartworm if you get a postive test result, because they can be inaccurate and the treatment is rough on the dog and costly.   Also, don't skimp on the monthly treatment... although here in the north where the winters are cold, it's OK according to my vet to skip the very cold winter months.  Not doing so puts you at risk for a costly and difficult treatment for your dog.

17 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good advice!! Especially with such a rainy season throughout the country and mosquitoes are a 'bumper' crop!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought about a false positive…that had to be so scary for you! Here in Texas it is utmost importance to give the monthly preventative! We live near a creek and the mosquitos are awful during all the warm months! Thanks for the reminder because I think there are lots of folks who just don't realize how important this is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, my! glad you re-tested him! and glad he can be treated for lyme!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Out of my 5 dogs 3 have tested positive for lyme. The sign at my vet's office says 2/3 of the dogs they see are testing positive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad Ben doesn't have that, and the other can be treated. That would have been absolutely horrid if he'd had them.

    I know nothing, zilch, about dogs so I need to get in touch with Patti to find out what to do about Hopper. The mosquitoes are getting bad here also. We finally figured out that he was having allergies instead of fleas, so that has been fixed.

    Thanks for bring this to attention!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry about the heartworm and the lyme! How frustrating.

    Since my horse had lyme disease last year, I've been putting a fly/tick preventative on him every two weeks, but I wish there was something of more substance I could do for him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very scary. I am definitely going to stay on top of this. I religiously check my dogs physically for stuff...make your vet aware if you are out in the country.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even though we're on the MA/NH line, our little guy is treated 12 mos. a year. We do not skip winter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heartworm is a huge problem here in the poor South where so many people just cannot afford the prevention or treatment when their dog does contract them. My Canadian friend says that they sell them over the counter at the grocery stores in Canada! My daughter got the 6 month shot for her 7 dogs on the farm. We adopted a Papillon from our local shelter last Dec. and he did get the treatment. Our shelter does treat dogs, but the animal control pounds do not. They had received a call from a neighboring town who had picked him up and they knew he was adoptable so they called and asked Warm Hearts for Cold Noses to take him for treatment. Lucky for us they did! He had a hard time with the treatment and I never want to see a dog go through that again. Most animal control centers euthanize heartworm positive dogs. Our daughter's vet said you can give dogs a monthly dose of Ivermectin for Cattle and there are sites online that tell the dosage, but I found it confusing, so I will keep buying it --year round!
    V

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't skip because heart worm meds also kill other internal pests/worms and it's less expensive to keep dogs on heart worm meds all year long. I'm still giving liquid cow Ivermec though; I've got it and makes me feel better, when I run out, it'll be time for a decision.
    my dogs were vaccinated for Lyme disease for the first time ever this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...