...I don't have a darn clue.
I've been struggling with the same issue for years now. Because of the nature of the physical work of shoveling shit for 35 years... and the nature of bending over a computer keyboard on and off for various work related stuff over the years... I've got arthritis in my neck and muscles spasms in the neck/shoulder area that occasionally FLARE.
Now throw in High Blood Pressure. And medicine sensitivities galore.
Here's why that's aggravating as hell - I hate BP meds, they make me feel like a slug and aren't really effective. I've tried three so far - bleh. If I lose 10-15 lbs, which is about what I've gained over the years that I shouldn't have... the numbers might come down some. So I start doing some intensive treadmill walking/hiking and a few Yoga routines. Which throws my neck and shoulders into a tizzy. Which causes pain, which spikes the blood pressure.
Now throw in Anxiety... because when I feel like crap, that factors in too. The muscle relaxants that are prescribed when the pain gets real bad make me feel like a zombie. Anti inflammatories make me stomach sick. The Anxiety spirals, the muscles spasm more...
and still there is shit to shovel and documents to edit.
I'm not getting rid of the horses/chickens/rabbits. I'm not quitting my day job. I really need to keep up exercise regimen for health and well being.
So I ice my neck. I go to Physical Therapy. I try to eat almost nothing to lose that 10-15 lbs, and it gets somewhere and then I fall back.
Round and round it goes, when she'll figure out what works for good, no one knows. Or maybe I just don't want to accept it.
Anyway... have you found yourself in a negative life cycle that you'd love to resolve? Did you manage to do so? What worked for you, do tell...
This is what I will tell you from MY experience. I had to quit shoveling the shit. I quit.
ReplyDeleteI had an aneurysm repaired in 1996 and swore I would only work another 5 years. Finally left at end of 2006.
Starting new life 500 miles away stressful - but learning to slow down almost impossible - UNTIL - yoga and pilates entered my life. Start slow - and I mean really slow - but it works. It forces you to be with just yourself - even in a big class. Helps with the weight - helps with the BP and certainly helps with the self-esteem - at 69 I feel much better than at 50. Not like 50 - but happy in the place that I find myself.
Be gentler to yourself.
My MIL (in her 70's) lost 30lbs by cutting out sugar, flour and prepackaged foods. Her exercise is swimming at the Y 3 days per week. Her weight loss took 6 months...and she is no longer on blood pressure medicine. I have recently started this plan myself. I added portion control to my new habits. Love your blog. Good luck with your weight loss goal.
ReplyDeleteDon't give up whatever you pursue...you'll get there!...:)JP
ReplyDeleteI stay equally busy and equally physically stressed but I have learned that I can still do most all of it with less negative side effects if I do it more slowly and deliberately. My boss/friend also has me using Doterra oils and I was skeptical but they have made a world of difference in my sleep, knee pain and bronchitis.
ReplyDeleteAs for weight? oy vey I need to get busy with that!!!
It makes me sad that you're having these troubles, Karen. The only thing that helps the arthritis in my neck is Aleve; when I take two I can really see a difference. My younger bro and I both have bouts of restless leg, and the only thing that works for me is a tsp of white vinegar; I know ugh, but it works (for me).
ReplyDeleteDon't have high blood pressure, but Patti does, and I'm not sure what she takes.
As for losing weight (and I know you are or were doing some paleo) what works (again, for me) is low carb.
xoxo
Well, it's no surprise to you that yoga has helped me with feeling better emotionally and physically for many years now. I find that a consistent daily practice is key, even if it's only for 20 minutes a day. I also agree with using the Doterra aromatherapy oils! I've recently been using them for more restful sleep and they have really helped! There are others out there as well. I'm going to be doing a report on how yoga can help neck and shoulder pain in my yoga training and will be happy to share with you! Hope you find some relief...
ReplyDeleteOk REALLY? Stoppppp.
ReplyDeleteA few years ago I was headed towards diabetes, my arthritis was crippling me, my b/p was starting to climb and I knew I didn't want to get pulled into the American way of just taking pills as band aids to serious problems. I researched whole food plant based eating, watched Forks over Knives, read the Starch Solution and as many reputable books and videos as I could find about whole food based eating and dove in head first. Lost 40 pounds so far and while I still have a lot more to loose, I do not have high b/p or high cholesterol or sugar problems like most of my much thinner friends my age. My arthritis is there but I don't hurt nearly as much and my bones are stronger. I just turned 60 and feel better than I did at 35. My blood work is better too! I won't say it is easy giving up meat, dairy poultry and oil, but it gets much easier the more you realize how much better you feel. I wish you much luck finding something that works for you!
ReplyDeleteKaren, I'm getting ready to do a blog post on "Choose Your Pain" and it's along these same lines. I stopped taking BP meds; the side effects were far worse than the meds and all sanctioned by the FDA...not saying much there. ahem.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I've lost 25 pounds since Dave died and want to lose another 25 pounds. And will by walking, watching what I eat and drinking 1 GALLON of water daily. In all of what you mentioned, you didn't mention water and that's as important...if not more important...than all else.
I eat organic chicken, beef that comes from someplace I know and very little seafood...mercury, doncha know.
Lots of greens, vegs, and trying to increase my fruits. It's a slow process; we didn't destroy ourselves overnight and we're not doing to right ourselves overnight.
Celebrate the small victories, forgive the small losses and live life well.
Every pharmaceutical you take, depletes something your body needs, so, as those vital things get depleted, you'll have more symptoms they'll want you to take another pill for. One thing that would probably be excellent for you right now, for BP and muscle spasms, etc., is magnesium. If you want to email me a list of your meds, I will try to tell you what is getting depleted. Either way... MAGNESIUM!
ReplyDeleteOh wow, wish I had some good advice, but I've been on a merry go round of my own that I just can't seem to break. The person just above me is right though, magnesium does help. One good way to get it is to take hot epsom salt baths. So good for you and those muscles.
ReplyDeleteLook how many people have contributed here ... people who have you in your heart and want the best for you.
ReplyDeleteI don't think you have to actually stop the things you do, it's more a function of HOW you do them. Cleaning the barn and taking care of the critters can be good for you if you pay close attention to your posture and the mechanics of your motions. Swing your arms and hold your head high when you walk, suck in your stomach, tuck your butt, and do it at a good pace if you can.
Don't slouch over your computer when you work. I found my husband doing that and discovered that he was using his regular reading glasses for computer work, too. They were too strong for the distance between his eyes and the screen, which is farther away than a book or his iPad would be, causing him to unconsciously lean forward to find his focus point.
Breathe, drink plenty of water, smile and enjoy life. Spring will be there for you soon, and the snow and cabin fever and most of the anxiety will be a tiny blip in the past.
I stumbled upon your website. I admire what you have done with your home and website. It makes me feel like I am not alone in this world. I too am going through a tough time in life only it has a different name perimenopause. I can't wait to feel myself again.
ReplyDeleteI'm sitting here saying yup yup.
ReplyDeleteYou read my blog, I know you do.
I so get everything that you said. Pain in neck, extra weight, yada yada.
I have come to several conclusions.
1. at a certain age, our bodies want to keep that extra weight. So unless you starve yourself, losing it is much harder than it ever was before, especially when the exercise causes pain. You can accept it, or make yourself miserable and hungry.
2. It has taken a head injury and three surgeries, a 4 year headache, and then an angry arthritic hip to finally convince me that I can't do as much as I used to, I can't do as much as I want.
3.Don't keep beating your head against the wall, find a better/easier way.
Oh Karen be kind to yourself! This is the age Ian 50 this year too. I made a huge leap and went to the chiropractor 2 weeks ago. After X-ray and exam it's easy to see the problems for myself. In my neck area especially. What do you have to lose if you just go and get checked out? They gave me the exact exercises I need to help me no more no less. At least now I know my pain is working toward something better for myself.
ReplyDeleteGood luck!
Sharon
You know Karen....since the invention of the internet, I am a doctor.....just saying
ReplyDelete...dear one...do what ellie's mil did...and add exercise...and go outside every single day...you will look and feel like a million dollars...you can do this...you can do this...you can do this...blessings laney
ReplyDeleteGetting old sucks! But...as I tell myself regularly - it beats the alternative! ;-) - I had anxiety and high BP - so, I cut out caffeine....I started slowly, went to half Caff - then went totally off of it....and anxieties went away and BP came down. Not sure if that is a fix for some of your issues....but could be worth a try. I am 50yrs old....and menopause is kicking my ass! Trying to find ways to battle the weight gain is insane! I understand your need to keep doing what you do physically, however, you may need to change it up a bit - especially if what you do is specific to the spasms :-(
ReplyDeleteOh I'm sorry. I hope you find a happy solution. I'm trying to fight off stuff starting, as much as possible. There are a number of health problems that run in my family - so I keep at it with exercise and good eating habits as much as possible. I guess at some point I might be fighting a losing battle, but I'm hoping to stave it off for as long as possible.
ReplyDeleteGuess what? We took in a foster dog and her 4 three week old puppies today. We'll keep her for a month, until they're old enough to adopt. She is very sweet with the boys, and they are thrilled to have them! They came from a puppy mill seizure.
We all have something that we deal with physically as we grow older, but we just have to learn how to do things slower and smarter than we used to. I'm so sorry to hear you're experiencing pain though, that hopefully, can be resolved. Don't wait. Go get x-rays or whatever to find out what is causing the pain. It could be an easy fix, or it could be something very serious that could cause real problems if you ignore the warning signs. It's always better to know. My dear, sweet grandma always used to say, "we all have our crosses to bear". Now I finally think I know what she meant. Oh, and physically? You look great, you do know that right? We are mature women, we shouldn't look like we did at 21. I believe that we're all happier if we take care of ourselves to the best of our abilities, and accept what is. All these stages of life are beautiful, and have unique gifts of their own. :) Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I love the comments!
ReplyDeleteKaren, I HEAR YOU! I've been on a beta blocker now for over 10 years. I have a leaky heart valve. My doctor never ONCE told me to exercise or change my diet or try Yoga. Nothing. Just pills. So, when a Whole Foods opened up just a few blocks away, I started shopping there back in September of 2014. I also have a back injury from falling off a horse and have sciatic nerve damage. I notice that when I get out and WALK, I don't have as much pain. Yes, I also use essential oils. I have a "pain management" blend that I use if it is really bad. Oh, and maybe twice a month I have to take Advil, but that's it. My goal is to get out now and exercise MORE, really watch my diet, and lose 40 pounds! Thank you for your honesty. I think those of us in our 60's are all facing lifestyle changes.
ReplyDeleteCheryl Ann
Just saw this...because like you, life. And I must say that I am in the same boat. But I slog through. Today it is rainy and my bones hurt. I feel awful because my allergies have amped up. Last thing I want to do is 2 miles today. LAST THING. But like you, I feel so much better when I get back to a place of health that I will withstand pain & being uncomfortable to do it. Nice to know that I am not alone. This past winter did a number to my routines and well being. But as you know, I am stubborn. I'll get there again. :) Let me know if you ever want to just go for a walk. I can come up and join you. :)
ReplyDelete