Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Unbroken



 Have you seen the movie yet?  

     Amazing.. amazing true story.   - 2014 , produced and directed by Angelina Jolie,  based on the 2010 non-fiction book by Laura Hillenbrand.   The film revolves around the life of  USA Olympian   Louis "Louie" Zamperini,  portrayed by Jack O'Connell.  Zamperini survived in a raft for 47 days after his bomber was downed in World War II, then was sent to a series of Japanese prison camps where he sustained unfathomable torture but showed a resilience I can't even describe.. except to say I was in awe and in  tears often throughout the movie.  The icing on the cake is knowing Zamperini went on to marry his sweetheart, raise two children,  and even ran with the Olympic torch IN JAPAN at the age of 81.  He recently passed in July of 2014 at the age of 97.   

Amazing. 




Back in the day, I used to think of Angelina as not much more than  a gorgeous but whacked young actress who was going to tip over the edge for certain one of these days.  Of course she has always been my husbands ultimate fantasy figure. 

In recent years, however,  I have a whole new respect for her. She has talent behind the cameras, as evidenced in producing and directing this movie.  She came to know this incredible man personally, and wanted to portray his  journey as authentically as possible.  I believe she did just that.   Angie also shows a generosity and soul so many other celebrities  do not possess.   And right here I admit.. way back when it was the -thing- I was Team Aniston all the way.    

 Only thing?..Sometimes I just want to throw her a cheeseburger, ya know? 



Shown below..... with the authentic Louie. 



 Bravo, Angelina Jolie, and Louie - I sure hope there is a reward at the end of this life.. if anyone deserves it, you most definitely deserve it. 


10 comments:

  1. I absolutely love her. Always have :) I haven't seen this movie but I intend to. I know a lot of people were surprised it was snubbed by the awards shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'll want to see that movie, and not usually a movie goer. Such an incredible life he lead. Not having given much thought to Angie except for her generosity of spirit, and love for children. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My comment is essentially meaningless to your post but I wanted to read the book before seeing the movie as I really wanted to see it. I was so horrified, so devastated, so enlightened (in the most negative sense of the word) that I couldn't possibly sit through the movie -at least not now - so soon after reading the book. The book was PACKED with the horrors and atrocities that the Japanese waged against our American POWs. Mr. Zamperini's nightmare in the camps was detailed to the point where I was physically ill. I never knew how horrendous and barbaric the Japanese were during WWII. His experience was beyond anything any human or animal should ever have to endure and quite frankly, I have no idea how he survived or why he did not kill himself. I realize that is the point of the whole story together with forgiveness but this girl A) knows she would never be able to be that amazing and B) I highly doubt, would be alive to tell her story. So God Bless you Louis Zamperini. I am SO sorry you went through a part of your life that is unspeakable - yet you spoke - and it is unfathomable that you forgave. I am speechless that there is a human being on earth that could forgive the "bird"...Mutsuhiro Watanabe, Mr. Zamperini's tormentor - (for lack of a better word as "tormentor" seems too tame when I think of what he did to this man.) - scum of the earth and may you rot in hell. And to you Louis Zamperini - I wish you a glorious life in eternity. To Angelina Jolie - I hope to one day watch this movie - certainly not right now - so raw that I am about this story, but someday. Thank you for telling it to the world - especially to those who did not read the book. I almost wish I had just seen the movie. Sorry to drone on Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all came to know Angelina during her weird Billy Bob days, wondering what this lovely young woman could possibly have in common with him. As time has passed and we see her public side of mother and champion for children, I have come to really respect her. Taking a public posture about her health is just one more reason that I like her.

    Can't see the movie or read the book, no matter how well done or heroic it is. As I get older, I am becoming less and less able to watch cruel or suspenseful things. No way I could make it through this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I have not seen the movie, I saw interviews with them regarding the making of the film. I, too, have, a true admiration for her including the treatment she has chosen to prevent cancer!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the book last year, and it BLEW MY MIND. I have not seen the movie though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll have to put it on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband read this book and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have felt the same way about her--she and Billy wearing vials of each other's blood--Geez. She is becoming a real person now and I am liking her. This movie was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, after reading this, I would say this is a must see. And I will.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...