... life is so enriched when you have the love of and for a dog. If you never take anything else away from reading my blog drivel... please know.. believe... that they feel, they love, they adore, they cherish, they hurt, they worry, they grieve. For those who have said to me - Oh, it's all about the food, you give them the food and so they follow you around - well, if you believe that ... you are missing out on one of the best relationships ever bestowed on us - truth, that.
I will never forget an experience I had with my dachshund, little Rudy - the piss pot. My daughter had just been in a horrible car accident and was lying in a coma at Yale. I came home to change clothes and collapsed on my bed in tears. It was the first time I let loose since the accident and the sobs wracked my body. Suddenly I realize I heard a wailing beside me that was not my own. It was Rudy - who had jumped up on the bed, laid next to me and began crying right beside me.
Ben is a very sensitive soul - he does not like when we argue in this house and lets us know immediately if there is tension in our voices. And hey - we're Italian, it is what it is. He loves his bed and blankets and pillow and walks in the hayfields behind the house. His face actually scrunches up in a smile when I tell him -let's go for a walk-.
When I was sick on the bathroom floor with a migraine (you might know that kind)... Frasier sat beside me, tucked up against me, worried.
Bailey LOVES bedtime where she can tuck up against Mike or myself for the night. On nights that I can't sleep (thank you, menopausal mania) .. she watches Golden Girls reruns with me.
When I meet the shelter dogs who come into our fold while we try to get them homes, they are sooooo grateful to be out of whatever hell they just came from. The emotion is amazing.. can't explain it any other way.
Let me not got to any Heaven where there are no dogs....


Wish I could post a "Like" to this, it is sooooo true.
ReplyDeleteAs I lay here with my sweet, furry, snoring babies- my heart is happy that you know the kind of happiness that fills your soul when you love an animal. I can't imagine a life without them. I'm so glad that your post popped up in my feed tonite.😍
ReplyDeleteI doubt it could be called heaven if it doesn't include our dogs/pets!
ReplyDeleteOh Karen...I just loved this post and I can really relate to it on so many levels. Thank you for this...
ReplyDeleteI will take dogs (and cats, too) over most people any day of the week. Dogs have no agenda. The only want to have a job and a secure place in their pack.
ReplyDeletePutting your heart out there for all to see ...
You and your doggies are very blessed. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's a beautiful thing. xoxo
So if this is like a 60th duplicate comment I'm sorry as I think I hit submit like 100 times and nothing happened.
ReplyDeleteBut I think turning this tale of the crying dachsund into a children's book about your daughters accident and her recovery and the support of family and animals is worth exploring. It's a perfect way to discuss empathy. You have the writing and illustrating skills to do it and you have that Tasha Tudor sense of whimsy perfect for a children's book. I don't need to tell you how much I agree with this post! Barbie is an extension of my soul and I totally believe that. She knows what I'm feeling and thinking.
Too bad we're not neighbors as GG reruns are always on the menu here with a nightcap. Even if it's just tea.
I agree with everything you say. My whole world revolves around my Morkies. They are a little piece of heaven here on earth. They make the most mundane things bearable. I agree with Stephen Andrew!! A children's book from you possibly about "Will" your goodwill pony purchase and how he came to be in your family would be fabulous!! Another rescue of sorts.
ReplyDeleteLisa in Fort Worth
Oh- I sure miss having pets. I had a cockapoo, Smokey, and I swear he was a human in a fur costume. This is a wonderful post---and so true. You do a wonderful service to your area with all your work finding forever homes for those fur babies. xo Diana
ReplyDeleteAmen. I love all my pups so much. Best part of my day is coming home to them.
ReplyDeleteMy prayer is that if I ever earn my way to Heaven (some days that is in doubt), that all the dogs of my life will be waiting there to greet me.
ReplyDeleteI just love having my dog. I love her snoring at night and her huge warm body taking up most of the bed. I wouldn't be without it!
ReplyDeleteOh Karen, I could not possibly agree with you more!! Life is SO much better with dogs. They have every emotion that we have, but they feel ever so much more deeply than we superficial humans do. They love completely, perfectly and totally unselfishly...we can learn SO much from them! I love that quote that goes something like, "Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am". Truth. If only...
ReplyDeleteMy Ruby is a sensitive sort also, and tries to stop any arguing in our house by getting between us and snuggling , or as we believe, smothering us. You cannot argue if you cannot breathe! :)
Amen. Several times.
ReplyDeleteMy dog George is sensitive as you describe your dogs being!
ReplyDeleteHe hates when he thinks we're bickering or when there's a thunderstorm or when he thinks he's being left behind from some great adventure.
And a doggy that will allow my grand-toddler to thump on him and grab his ball so he can throw it, well that is everything.
smooches dear Karen - your doggies make my day
Of course I'm just thinking yep,all true! I do agree that if you have been lucky enough to be around animals your whole life by the time you get to be our age, it's just second nature to be in tune with our furry family. Kinda like the 10,000 hour thing only better.
ReplyDeleteOne of life's greatest pleasures. Relationships that work both ways.
You know each other so well no words needed. Communication in so many non verbal ways. Animals use to tell us how much they love us.
Sharon
Karen, you can take it from me; our beloved pets...dogs, cats, sheep, horses, alpacas, etc. go to heaven. God made them first, He loves them and gave us stewardship over them. It's the desire of my heart my beloved animals who've gone ahead are waiting for me in heaven, alongside Dave and other beloved family and friends.
ReplyDeletePeople who say otherwise lack faith, poor things. Terribly sad really.
I can't believe I missed this beautiful post. I especially love the story of sweet Rudy.
ReplyDelete