Can anyone tell me where that line came from? It should apply to our canine companions, truly wo(man)'s best friend. So much we could learn from them, should learn from them. They live in the moment, they forgive as quickly as the offense took place, they love unconditionally, they accept everything as it is, they don't judge, their needs are so very simple. Uncomplicated beings. If only we could all follow suit. Alas, we are far too complex a creature.
I am lucky enough to work from home, whether it's on the farm out back or in this house as it's domestic engineer or at this computer editing, editing, editing. My coworkers are my dogs. Right now as I sit here typing, they surround me contented that I am near, the rat-tat-tat of the keyboard lulling them to sleep. Their presence in my daily life is a treasure and I know many of you feel the same for your canine family members.
While I may feel a little lost in this empty nest at times.... these characters keep me grounded with their expressions, their pure joys, their contentment at living in the moment in the company of the peoples that they love. There are some that say dogs don't feel or understand love. I say they've never lived with a dog, never truly loved a dog. Because if they did, then they would know a whole new language and perhaps gain a new respect for these beings we are so lucky to have in our presence. Is there any mistaking the look on that face above... he knows by the jangle of the car keys in my hand that I am going out on an errand and he is staying behind.
I've got a dog biscuit recipe to share with you today - the person who gave the recipe to me calls them Newf bars because she has a giant newfoundland named Carbon who loves them.
Home Made Newf Bars for Dogs
6 cups oatmeal
4 eggs
1/3 cup honey
1 cup milk
2 mashed bananas (optional)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup molasses
1 large can solid pack pumpkin (also optional)
Preheat oven to 325. Grease cookie sheet that has lip. Dump all ingredients in large bowl. Mix the whole mess together using your hands (easiest- and tip: remove rings beforehand). Pat onto greased cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour. Turn off oven, crack door open and allow cookies to cool in the oven. Break into whatever size you want. These freeze really well too.





Courtship of Eddie's Father. -Jenn
ReplyDeleteYes, Courtship of Eddie's Father - the theme song from when I was a kid. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, you're so very right on about dogs. Dogs are wonderful, are capable of thought, emotion, anger, love and every other adjective that "some" people like to think only humans are capable of. Oh contrair!!! They are just wrong. Period. I have loved dogs. I do love my dogs, and their value and importance in my life are beyond measure.
I couldn't place the song until I read your comments, I loved that show.
ReplyDeleteAll of us animal lovers are nodding our heads while reading your words and your pictures are very poignant. As my two dogs get older and older, I not only take more pictures and try to capture more moments, but I sometimes just sit and watch them. I want to imprint the memories in my minds so I can pull them up whenever I want. As much as I know I will be heartbroken when they are no longer here, I see it also as a huge tragedy for them, they truly deserve more time here on earth, not to make us happy, just cuz they do.
Jane x
This place wouldn't be home without Hopper Henry, and that's a fact. Great post.
ReplyDeleteYes! I do remember that song from the Courtship of Eddie's Father...now I really feel old!! :)
ReplyDeleteYou know I am in total agreement with you about my dogs...although at the moment both of them are ill. Chloe, diagnosed with Lyme Disease, and they both have Kennel Cough.
It has been a very stressful time in my household lately...
Pumpkin is really good for dog's digestion, so don't leave it out! :-)
ReplyDeleteYou asked about tomatoes - it seems my big ones are having issues with blight. My cherries are all doing well though. I picked a bunch of the green large ones and brought them in in hopes that they may fare better. I think it is from having such a wet summer here. I did manage to can some salsa yesterday, but I only got 5 pints.
Now I'll have that theme song in my head for the rest of the morning!
ReplyDeleteA house doesn't feel like a home without a dog...don't you think?
Love the pictures of your co-workers :)
ReplyDeleteNo one knows the love an animal can have for you until they have one. Our four-legged family members are the most honest and the truest in their love and devotion.
<3
love me, love my dogs. Dave always said he didn't trust a person who didn't like dogs. He was right.
ReplyDeleteMy life revolves around my animals - mostly my dogs. With four of my own and several fosters at any given time, I rarely have time to remember that I'm the only human here. Once in a while I'll feel a little lonely but all I need to do is hug one of my dogs and I remember what I'm on this planet for - to help the animals that can't speak for themselves.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all you do for them, too!
As I have all ingredients..a first!...will make these for my pack and thanks!
ReplyDelete