Friday, July 21, 2017

Salty Dogs



 Yesterday was one of those sweltering July days here in New England.  The humidity is what gets me, bleh.   I took Frasier and Sally down to Stella in hopes of a swim, but when we arrived - the low tide was the lowest I think I've ever seen it.. .and believe it or not - walking all the way across the cove to the other side would only get me less than waist deep.  So, only wading - no swimming.  We did that anyway.

 
Our beachfront consists of sand and muck and seaweed, oyster and clam shells. Lots of rocks too.  Water shoes are necessary to get out into the water to swim.   Frasier likes the water and will walk around in it shoulder deep -  Sally?  Not so much.  She was in my arms when I snapped the pic below and she continued to "paddle" until we were back up on the grass.   Here you can see the high tide mark - the dark coloring along the stone, steps and seawall.  The difference between low tide and high tide in the cove, in a matter of hours!.. is 6 feet.  That's amazing to me. 



 M Jr. came down for supper and went clamming to enhance the meal..


K showed up after work too and together they began our next project  - clearing the many rocks that have accumulated on our little tiny beachfront so that the water can push in more sand when we want to walk out to swim or  sit in a chair there.  There are two oyster beds on either side of our little stretch of "beach". That's where we're putting the extra rocks - they fortify the oyster beds. 


  While Jr. was clamming, he pulled up this little guy - whom we tossed back in the ocean after taking a few pictures...  His body is about the size of the palm of your hand, so he was a BIG hermit crab. 






 Little Sally is getting used to cottage life too -   (who remembers Blueberries for Sal? One of my favorite childrens books)  She's got salty breeze-naps perfected. 





  Meanwhile, back in Tr*mpland, the mysterious ties and lies deepen.  I don't even know where to begin here, so I think.... I won't.   Drip   Drip    Drip.....

 It's a new day, all. Let's make it a good one -  thanks for stopping by.



23 comments:

  1. Every time I see a pic of Stella, I continue to be amazed at what y'all have done. Just beautiful! Yeah, I'd be with Sally napping on the deck.

    Your grass? I need it! It's so green and pretty.

    How nice that your offspring help out there; I know they love it as you and M Sr do. :)

    xoxo

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm blessed with two truly good children. M is a master grass maker, lol...

      Delete
  2. Sally is so cute! Trump is the scariest president I've ever seen. He seems to have no moral compass whatsoever. Or conscience.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids read Blueberries for Sal more times than I can count...

    Stella is such a sanctuary. And yes, we need that to get away from political news. I am listening to everyone hyperventilate about Sean Spicer quitting. The only thing I need to know about Spicer's replacement is that he is a very close friend of Sean Hannity's. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew Spicey would quit. He used to have integrity. It couldn't have been easy weaving that web every day and taking the heat for it too. The new guy is so slick I don't know how his suits stay on him. He used to talk Negatively about 45 - that says something, huh? How quickly they bail...

      Delete
  4. Love that your kids are enjoying Stella too! Sally seems to be settling in just fine and napping on the porch is a great way to spend the afternoon! The humidity is killing me too. I am so very glad we have central air here. I can remember years ago...before I became ill...it used to get so bad here that Meish and I would drive around in the car for hours just to be in the A/C! It is wonderful that you are so close to home when you go to Stella. I have to head home soon for a Dr. Appt and it is like packing for a trip! Not looking forward to the three hour drive...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why we decided to look close to home - I knew I would resent the long drives if we bought farther away

      Delete
  5. Aren't you so fortunate to have a cottage on the water! I spent the past 4 days at the lake, but at a hotel, no cottage for me - sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie - I visited your blog - what a lovely homestead you have there!

      Delete
  6. I follow Myles and Willow on Instagram - so cute. They are always in the water riding their parents' kayaks, and so they wear life vests with a handle so they can be easily picked up. Might be an idea for Sally. I bet those clams are so good. Lobster/clam feeds at the Cape and up in Maine are good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of those vests and intend to use it with Sally :-)

      Delete
  7. I am so glad that you are enjoying your Stella so much. We are constantly at work on our beach, too, claiming and reclaiming our sand in between high water and low water. We deal with a lot of mussel shells here so we pulverize them with a tractor to make sand (perfectly legal here where they sometimes haul them away by the truck full to the land fills).

    Hope you have a great weekend! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have mussels too!... two kinds - the edibles and the not-so-much.

      Delete
  8. I was just imagining you paddling around holding little Sally the whole time! She's a sweetie! I love that oysters and clams are such a "normal" part of your life. No such thing here. When we are at the waterfront, it's fresh water. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn - I will never reside far from the sea - having grown up on Staten Island and living near the shoreline in CT all these years, I feel like I need to be near it always. Hard to explain.

      Delete
  9. that Sally is so precious! Looks like a perfect Summer's day at the shore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What luxury to have clams and mussels right in your back yard!

    Why don't the other dogs come along? Are you playing favorites? ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All four dogs don't come to the cottage for several reasons. First, our yards are very small and very connected to the neighbor. Having four dogs romping the postage stamp would be kaotic. But more importantly, Ben is 190 lbs. and hates car rides - and his tail would knock over everything in thecottage, it's so small. Bailey, our little white terrier mix, is a nervous dog in new places. She tends to run and hide if she is frightened and I'm afraid we'd lose her and she'd just be to uncomfortable. Two dogs in a small space and yard is do-able. So, Ben and Bailey keep each other company at home where they are comfortable, where Frasier and Sally are more go with the flow.

      Delete
  11. How wonderful that you have a getaway place on the water. There is something about being on the water... renewing, and peaceful...feeds the soul. We were just talking at breakfast about whether our lives would change if we came into a large sum of money. I said that the only thing I would change would be to have a small getaway on the water somewhere!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bev - we have pretty much the same set up as you at home. a few less animals. I highly.. highly recommend finding a little spot on a lake or river or waterfront not a long distance from you home, where you are away from the responsibilities, but not so far that you can't just go down there for dinner or an afternoon. It is restorative, I'm telling ya. We found a very reasonable cottage that needed work. This is not the expensive variety. Our taxes aren't crazy either because it cannot be winterized. It works.

      Delete
  12. nice article great post comment information thanks for sharing
    หนังจีน

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...