Thursday, March 15, 2018

The VIP Room

    
    We are lucky to live right up the road from a very good restaurant.   Our town used to be labeled as "out in the sticks", but that's not really true anymore.  We still don't have a grocery store or an official post office, but we are fairly close to those things in the next town over and we do have local restaurants, a Dunkin, A Subway, a good bakery, a big hardware store, a few gas stations and packages stores (of course!)  and a bunch of other small businesses, with the bustling CT shoreline and outlet centers just three miles down the road. 

   Last night we gathered at that very good restaurant to celebrate a family member's birthday, and because Wednesdays are a slow night and the owner appreciates our friendship and occasional business, we were given the VIP room, normally reserved for Very Important People.

   

   
      Being hearing impaired,  I tend to observe people more than participate in conversations in a situation like this.  What I saw last night where cousins and brothers and sisters and moms and dads an restaurant workers, patrons  and business owners relaxed and happy, laughing and enjoying each other's company.  It didn't matter what was being said... the mood was evident, refreshing, downright inspiring.  Remember that coke commercial back in the day?   "I'd like to teach the world to sing.. in perfect harmony"....   that.  

   I'm still riding that wave we all caught last night, and I plan to encourage it wherever I can. 

    We celebrate several birthdays at this time of year and I have cake in my thoughts and prayers, lol.  This one... oooh dear.  I think I'm gonna try it, gluten free if that's possible.  Click link for recipe. 






   I'm in love with that jadite cake stand.




   Current situation at This Old House...  the storm two days ago brought about 10 more inches of snow, and there's talk of another on the horizon next week.   Uncle. 



   



Till soon, friends - 










9 comments:

  1. I LOVE family get-togethers like that---ones with no drama and just a real 'connection' between everyone there. We are lucky to have a family that has bonds like that, too. That cake looks delicious. I posted a St. Pat's day cake today, too. Great minds, huh? lol xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little town sounds like the place I wish to live, when my wife retires, but I don't want to move above i-40. I've enjoyed living south of i-10 for too many years. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the perfect evening, Karen!! I love nights like that where there is peace and harmony and love and laughter all in one cozy room....that's how my dinner parties usually are and I am wayyyy overdue to host one!

    Same here with the snow....it has seriously snowed every single day since the whopper of a winter storm Riley....I'm tired of shoveling, sigh.

    Your house is so beautiful!!! And your area sounds similar to ours, although we do not have the subway/dunkin thing going on - we got our first 'box' store this past fall and the town was up in arms about it. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. We do have a supermarket in the next town over, so that's good - it's not a big market but it gets the job done. All the other shops are mom/pop stores, aside from a Cumby's. Lots and lots of restaurants which is a wonderful thing....we are a ski town, so we reap the benefits of being a tourist destination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful moment in time; it's always a happy feeling to be surrounded by people you love and who love you. :)

    That cake looks oh so good! I may have to check out the recipe not that I wouldn't make a mess making it. LOL

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. It certainly looks like a great get together and birthday celebration, Karen! That cake looks scrumptious but vacation is just around the corner and I do have to put on bathing suits and shorts...YIKES. We got hammered with this last one too...20"...it lingered over Eastern CT...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your VIP treatment looks divine to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE IT when family/friend moments happen just like you described . . .
    Magic . . .
    And the Stephen Hawking . . . I like . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a perfect time was had by all! Nights to remember! I am so sick of all of this snow...it is making me crazy! The snowblower has not had a rest at ALL. More to come...

    I cannot wait to have my feet in the sand!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah. And it's almost officially spring. We're expecting snow Wednesday and rain the rest of the week. What you said. Uncle.
    That cake...THAT CAKE! I tend to stay away from gelatin/marshmallow but that filling isn't.
    Happy Birthdays to all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...