Monday, November 26, 2018

ThanksChristmas!



      I hope you had an enjoyable Thanksgiving weekend, and we certainly did.  There were just a few stumbles - aren't there always?  First.... my lemon meringue pies turned into lemon soup.  If you've never made them, here's what I didn't know.   I thought I'd add a little more lemon juice than the recipes requires... to give it just a little more lemon zing.  Well... too much lemon zing kills the corn starch -stick-togetherness.... hence.. soup.   Stick to the recipe on that one. 

    Then... Dear old Dad came in wearing his  MAGA red baseball hat.  I ignored it, because he's entitled to wear whatever he wants to wear and think whatever he wants to think, and  I wasn't taking the bait.  Until he took to yelling and pointed fingering his opinion at several of my other guests and didn't stop yelling when I asked.  And that's when I intervened with some yelling of my own.  Not one of our finer moments, and very typical of our relationship, sadly.  




 My apple pies, that thankfully came out delicious, not soup-like. 
I used honeycrisp apples, cortlands, empires, mcintosh.
It was a great mix - honeycrisp my absolute favorite. 





   Other than that miserable moment, we had an enjoyable dinner and time spent with family. 

   The weekend after Thanksgiving is when Christmas comes out of the closets, the basement, and the shed at this old house.  As of today,  the halls are decked, and although the picture doesn't reflect it, the pumpkins have been removed from the front stoop.



  My Christmas cactus are in full bloom and the cottage geranium
is still pretty in pink. 







   My Aunt Virginia made this tree in ceramics class many moons ago - It's my favorite decoration.  Several of my friends have them as well, very popular back in the 70's-80's.   I bet a few of you have one, too..








This morning while I fed horses, the prettiest pink hues spread across the 
landscape... only to fade to New England grey shortly after. 




    Currently drizzling outside, more rain in the forecast - and I'm feeling at peace as I sit at my desk writing out christmas cards, and a touch of sad- because a few on my list are no longer with us.  I write little notes in some of the cards,  especially to those who have had a difficult year.  I think it's a sad thing - that letter writing and christmas card sending is becoming a dying tradition, so I'm keeping it up on my end, regardless.  

   Till soon - 




   

12 comments:

  1. Love seeing that ceramic tree. I always wanted one when I was a kid. You have a lovely place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you did not toss the "soup"- whenever I have a "sweet" failure I just salvage what I can and reheat to warm and serve over a good vanilla ice cream. And everyone raves as they don't know! hilarious.
    I am terrified of the same conflagration in my home this holiday between my brother and son.
    oh boy oh boy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ceramic tree...it's timeless. I decorate mostly with vintage things. I'm sorry you had some words but it's hard when people act like that. I never use to speak up...not sure what I would do now. Enjoy your week sweet friend! I want to start writing my Christmas cards this week too and get them out early. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had my momma’s little ceramic tree . . .
    Love your Christmas touches .. .
    I am just getting started, although my needless tree is lit outdoors
    and enjoying our recent newly fallen snow.

    Slurping the stuffing all over the floor, cabinets as it slipped out of my hands,
    coming from the oven, disappointed me bunches. Especially because it was my daughter’s one request.
    I think she is still mumbling, “momma, how could you.”

    Love your home setting, pictures . . . lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How I love this post! Your home and table are so warm and inviting. Truly beautiful. My kind of warmth and comfy. I especially love your stone fireplace. I've had melted pie problems before but not with lemon. Good tip on the juice. Maybe zest would work? At least it's dry! Scrambles the texture but it's dry.

    I'm envious you are decorated. I was supposed to be. I'm behind, although maybe not because TG was early this year. But I ended up with surprise carpeting being put in my family room (which was great) -- apart from the fact that I had to dump two large and over-packed bookcases, a small cabinet filled with china, a large trunk filled with dishes that don't fit in the cupboard and more. And somehow that turned into cleaning the garage (which needed it but not that day!) and now I think I AM behind! But it's coming back together. The good thing about snow days (the ONLY good thing about snow days) is that what else are you going to do besides put your house back together. Unless it's decorate for Christmas or do cards or wrap presents to mail or bake or....!!!

    And I am SO with you on Christmas cards. I will do them till I can no longer write. Then I'll have Rick make me a computer labeling program. But I will send them out forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend gave me two of those ceramic trees when she was downsizing. I think they are neat. Sorry there was a "moment" at Thanksgiving. There was a mildly similar moment at a group meeting last week here too. Love your Christmas decorations. Ours are still in the box but need to come out soon. Cannot believe Christmas is so near already. Stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your home is so lovely!!! I always wanted one of those ceramic trees....well not always but now that I'm older they feel so nostalgic! I think my mom had one at some point but nobody will tell me where all her old Christmas decorations are....I suspect they are in my sister's house in Boston and she's not admitting that she swiped them all, but that's a tale for another day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen,
    You have a beautiful home and your decorations are lovely. I have one of those trees I picked up at an Estate sale, so no emotional ties to it, I just like it.
    Never tried to make a lemon pie, but can relate to the disappointment when yours was soupy. Your apple pies look like something out of a magazine!
    I agree with the Christmas cards-I've been saving some from the last few years, as I think they may become collectors items some day, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Karen! You are always right on time with your Christmas decorations!! I have put out one thing so far...it gets harder each year. When the kids go their own ways and don't stop by anymore, it kind of changes one's attitude. Enjoy every single second while yours are around and still want to pop in! Your Thanksgiving table and pies looked fabulous! As we have been doing for over 20 years, we ate out! Just Ben and I overlooking one of the beautiful finger lakes here in NY. Relaxing, and totally stress free! No cooking involved! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything looks so pretty! Love the ceramic trees. I wrote out a few Chritmas cards today. I used to send out about 40 every year but had to cut back on some expenses and now just send a few.

    I had to laugh at your dad. It reminded me of my dad.
    During the election season, my dad met us at a restaurant proudly wearing his MAGA ball cap. (I actually bought him). I leaned in to him and whispered “You might not want to wear that hat out right now”. He jumped back and yelled loud enough for the whole place to hear him. “Why? I like my hat and I don’t care what anyone thinks!” We didn’t say another word about it but giggled under our breath at him the whole time during dinner. Old people crack me up.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, I remember those light-up ceramic Christmas trees! I liked them then and I still like them now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am a minilist which means if I don't use it I donate it to someone who will. a few years ago in a mad cleaning out of Christmas things, I gave a friend my mothers ceramic tree that was like yours, it was 2 feet tall and in 3 pieces, my aunt made it for her. every year I have wished I had it back. I love your home, even without the festive décor.. so beautiful... I think mother added grated lemon rind to hers to make the lemon pie zing. since I have never baked a pie in my life I can't remember, but they were super

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...