Thursday, January 30, 2014

Going Commando


   Recently a dear friend in animal rescue joked on FB about being so behind in laundry she had to borrow a pair of her sons  underwear on that particular morning.  I'm sure he's scarred for life....lol.... and of course there ensued what you've probably already guessed.. a hilarious back and forth among commenters about the virtues of underwear... or not wearing any -  a/k/a  "Going Commando". 

A hilarious take on this can be seen here.. one of my favorite moments in the old sitcom, "Friends".
 


  I happen to be one of those people who really can't imagine going out of the house without underwear.  You might laugh at this, but I don't think there has ever been a time when I did NOT have underwear on unless in the shower, the tub, having s*x or wearing a bathing suit.   I'm not pointing any judgemental fingers at those who prefer to go Commando... I'm just sayin...it doesn't work for me.

  My grandmother lived on the Florida panhandle for a period of time.  During one particular visit,  we were in the company of a lovely neighbor, a  southern lady of about 90 years.  Virginia had a velvety southern drawl so thick, my grandmother could hardly understand it.  She  also had a lovely beach bungalow filled with southern charm, and she walked briskly around the house in floral summer dresses with the ease of someone much younger.  I have no idea how we got on the subject... but out of her mouth with exuberance came words I will never forget.  "It's good to walk around without the hindrance of underwear.  You have to let your parts breathe!". 

 I nearly spit out my sweet tea.


15 comments:

  1. I was all ready to comment until I got to the very last quote. Where's a glass of sweet tea when I need one? hahaha! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I've heard that saying all my life. Then again, I'm from the south.

    ReplyDelete
  3. go for it and take a deep breath ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer to suffocate my parts, thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a waste of sweet tea that would have been.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandmother was never an advocate for letting any of my parts breathe. As a matter of fact, the more covered up and locked up, the better :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL-Gold bless that woman! I tell the girls all the time that Papa doesn't have underwear on (he always does) and that just grosses them out- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. ... let your parts breathe!!! Love this!

    TMI alert: If you come over to visit and I'm wearing a long sundress, which is often if I'm not working outside, it's a flip of a coin as to whether there's anything under there. Just depends on how I feel that day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. On those hot humid Wisconsin summer days, I'm with that sweet southern lady. TMI!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband had to go commando yesterday because of laundry mismanagement.

    ::angelic smile::

    I have a close close friend who does not wear knickers and a time or two she has had to send HER husband to Target or Macys for a pair of panties when she's forgotten them when WEARING A DRESS!

    She once asked to borrow a pair of my trousers and I politely declined. Nya nya nya! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. my grandmother always believed that we should all sleep without any undies on….for the same reason….you have to let your parts breathe :)

    the only time i'm without undies is in exercise wear…tight leggings…things like that which are made to worn without undies….but other than that, my parts don't mind being suffocated :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL! I'm sure though that your friend's son had rather his mom wear his under's instead of him having to wear hers. :)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha! My white cotton granny panties work just fine for "breathing"--I'm keeping them on!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read this yesterday and HOWLED.

    Oh my.

    You wrote it up all so perfectly too, because I can just hear it in my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...