Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Cleaning House



      When I started this blog years ago I had many followers because we were doing a major reconstruction of this old house, and folks from all over enjoyed following the process from start to finish.  We even had a person of importance contact us to photograph the house, unfortunately it beared no fruit in the end.  Boy, when I look at that post now, the house was decorated so differently, I guess I like to change it around now and again.   Stella of course was a much smaller scale project.

     During that time, I contemplated adding in "ads", with the thought that if I were going to spend time devoted to this blog, I might as well make a little money doing it.  But then when I saw the actual ads on my page, I hated the look, the distraction, the noise. The creative side of me was revolted, and so I stripped it all down to bare blog again. Ah, much better.  If you come here now and then, you'll notice the look of my blog changes frequently.  My creative restlessness is obvious - and it was one of the main reasons I considered moving over to wordpress.  After doing some research, I've come to the conclusion  it would just be too big of a pain in the a** to change it over, and I like the idea of FREE with blogger. I just hope Google doesn't decide to ditch it all some day, now that would suck. 
    
     What attracts you to any given blog?  For me, getting the sense that the author of the blog is real in their expression of their experiences and what they are sharing is key.  I love learning about regions other than the one I live in, the sharing of ideas, recipes, political exasperations (because lately that's all there is), gardening and health advice, family values, issues, trials and triumphs.  I like the friendships that inevitably form if you stick around long enough, and it's a stress reliever in some ways - a creative outlet, a place to share.  My blog face has changed once again, all the "clutter" is at the bottom - blog roll, labels, search box, etc.    When you visit, I don't want you to be assaulted by a bunch of stuff all at once.  I hope I finally achieved a soothing pallet for your viewing pleasure - if not in my words, at the very least in the visual.

      Because I am procrastinating once again as I glance over my shoulder at the dog who needs walking (actually it's ME who needs walking) and   I hear the whisper of the laundry pile sitting on top of my bed with a soggy little dog sitting on top of that...  (yep it WAS a clean pile) .... let me share just a few more things with you today.

 Great recipe below  I'm going to make and bring down to the cottage this weekend for the family - because can we all say a collective Hallelujah to the approaching sunny 80 degree temps?  We're actually going to drag the kayaks down to the waters edge and maybe even get in them for the first time this season....

Skinny Zucchini Casserole



 That's the healthy part of this  weekend's meal plan... and this is the other part...

Trisha Yearwoods banana Pudding   because Dang.....



 Now, off to walk that dog.....  Till soon, friends.... thanks for stopping by.






21 comments:

  1. I can't even recall when I last had banana pudding. I made it a lot when the kids were home. Takes me back...
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda I've never tried it, but I know my gang will love it...

      Delete
  2. I cannot stand blogs with adds popping up all over
    I just won't read them
    to me it is very un professional
    thank you for your

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, dadgum it, Karen! Trisha Yearwood vs MY banana pudding. hmmmm so there's that. :)

    I've been blogging for 15 years (the older one did disappear, sadly). But, along with you, I don't like the ads, and I like people being "real". I've been on the one I have now for ten years; I've gained friends and lost many friends when they all got into FB. I miss them, but happy for the few I still have.

    I hope the weekend will be excellent weather, a lot of fun being had, And many new precious moments.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to mention, I really like your new look! Very peaceful in here. :)

      xoxo

      Delete
    2. Thank you Sally! And haha!... I think they are very similar, and I was afraid to share HER picture but use your specific recipe lest the blog police come complainin...

      What drew me to your blog was your realness.. your genuine spirit, your caring nature. Does that make up for the pudding? xo

      Delete
  4. I can list the many facets of your blog that are so very appealing. It began with the house renovations and horses. Your love of your family and raising good kids (now adults). Animal rescue. You say it like it is without being offensive and are open to the thoughts of others. Love of the arts and appreciation of your community. I mentioned this before but you put great thought into just about everything and you leave things better than you find things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always attracted to the "real" behind a blogger. Even if they are not totally in tune with me and the way I live my life- I like them...because I like real people with real thoughts and real ideas. I like blogs where life is not all about a new dish towel but the person lets their guard down and goes- OH CRAP--I had a BAD day!

    I love to look at pretty pictures, too..and I prefer short, concise blogs that I can read, understand and digest in a few minutes....but that's just me.

    I think everyone comes to blogs looking for different things...ideas for their homes, projects, lives. As for me- I don't do ads on my blog and I don't do promotional blogs (although I get asked all the time) unless it is a person I want others to know about...and I like to leave my visitors with a smile when they leave if I can. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana that's exactly why I love you- the real deal, and not afraid to put it out there and especially your upbeat outlook on life, your love and celebration of family and that wicked sense of humor.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I hope you get out on the water this week...or on the weekend! I know you are ready! And it's been great fun getting to know you over the years. I love reading about your homes...your dogs and animals...your family! We can have differing views about some things and still be best friends. How cool is that? Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the new look of your blog....the background is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your new blog design...very simple and gets to the point of what your blog entails (I heard that was important when I redid mine a few years ago).

    I think everyone is looking for something different in the blogs they read. I follow everything from DIY blogs to 'Self Help". I know I have a varied group of readers as well. Keep up what you are doing---I'm partial as I've known you for so long!! :)

    Pinned the zucchini recipe--looks healthy!

    Have a great time at your cottage this weekend. We have rain predicted for the next week so I'm just trying to get indoor things done here at the homestead.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we've had rain all week, bleh! BUT.. the weather is supposed to clear up starting today. Lord I hope so...everything is soggy. I should look for you on pinterest. I don't go there all the time but I do love it and have found some awesome things there..

      Delete
  9. I read blogs for many reasons, but I think the main thing that keeps me reading is the personality of the blogger. Some are funny and I always like funny. Some reveal their lives in ways that are poignant, real, amusing... and you get to know them that way. Others are due to the fact that they live somewhere quite different than my neck of the woods and I like to find out what their lives are like. I think your blog features a little bit of all of that! I also tend to be drawn to bloggers who a similar age to me (e.g. I probably wouldn't read one written by a young mother with small children - been there, done that.) -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is also sad about ads for me? They all turn to ads about cancer as soon as I click over... ugh. Happy you've decided to stay put and that you just keep blogging! Yes- its clean and welcoming- but my main focus is YOU. It feels like we're having a conversation of sorts- very similar to what we'd do if we were face to face. I often feel I know more about the daily lives of blog friends than I do friends who live close by sometimes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I always appreciate your comments, even opposing views, as long as we're all respectful.

She doesn't live here anymore

    Hello there!       I got an e-mail yesterday from a fellow blogger whom I lost touch with a few years back when she stopped bl...